ADSL speed prediction checkers - what are they based on?

I can't think of any justification for even a backup service being with a sh*te ISP.

If you don't think my view is independent enough, then have a look at this comparison.

I wasn't questioning your integrity/opinion, I was wondering what you meant by "sh*te", whether it was based on personal experience and what that experience was. I've got no axe to grind with Tiscali, neither do I have any reason to support them. I found a few customer reviews post-your comment...overwhelmingly poor, it seems.

However, depending on what you meant by "sh*te" may or may not make it justified as a back-up service...I was just asking.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't questioning your integrity/opinion, I was wondering what you meant by "sh*te", whether it was based on personal experience and what that experience was.
Apologies - looking back at my reply to it didn't really convey what I was thinking, and sounded offhand. I merely meant you to have a look at the reference site and make up your mind based on the views of a lot of people, not just mine.

I've got no axe to grind with Tiscali, neither do I have any reason to support them. I found a few customer reviews post-your comment...overwhelmingly poor, it seems.
That's a kind way of putting it. ;)

However, depending on what you meant by "sh*te" may or may not make it justified as a back-up service...I was just asking.
OK. I should have stated the criteria I use to rate ISPs. They are as follows.

1. The fee for calling technical staff must be no more than for a local rate call.
2. The technical staff must be available 24 hours a day.
3. When called, they must be capable of performing tests, or using some deductive reasoning, that I'm not capable of doing.
4. They must be capable of determining whether the problem is on my side of the ADSL modem, or theirs, without asking me to re-install one single solitary piece of software.

AFAIK, Tiscali probably passes on criterion #2. My ratings are:

Passes on all 4 -> Excellent.
Passes on all except #1 -> Excellent, but expensive.
Fails on 2 or 3 or 4 -> Sh*te.
Fails on two out of 2 or 3 or 4 -> Abysmal.
Fails on three or more of any of them -> TalkTalk.

Hence, if you want to be particularly insulting to someone, and you find that you've overused the term m*ther****er, you can just call them "TalkTalk".

Sorry - think I was being over-sensitive there.

Thanks very much - useful (if, sadly disappointing :() stuff.

Just out of interest, I popped by new phone number into the BT Wholesale checker again. Seems that the response has now changed to be closer, although not the same, to that of my direct neighbours:

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 5.5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

I understand the caveats that this prediction is likely based purely on geographical location, and real world performance will doubtless differ, but I suppose it's interesting that it has changed over the few days since the line was installed - some database updated to reflect the re-assignment of my new number to somewhere closer the the exchange, perhaps? I suspect the number was allocated before, seeing as I received an automated advertising call just 1 hour after it was installed (now registered with the TPS).

Sponsored Links
I think it is based on a recent test of the line, not an "estimate".

Ahh, OK. So this is what I was originally wondering about i.e. what the BT Wholesale checker results might actually be based on.

Now...my original BT line, which I had never used, had been there for many years and, as it turns out, was disconnected at the pole anyway. So...the new line I'm referring to was just installed on Monday, with a new drop-wire, number etc. I currently just have a phone service with the Post Office on this line, and am umming-and-ahhring about an ADSL broadband service to supplement what I get via Virgin Media cable.

So - it sounds like a "real" check may have occurred at some point between Monday and today?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back