Advcie for render and construction of new external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have bought a place to renovate. An annex to the side of the house is like a cold box and i wish to insulate and rconstruct it.
One thing i am going to do is take out 4 large windows (single glazed) and make stud walls based on existing window construction, which is fine.
Questions are: what board to use outside to render directly onto.
Also i have rendered before with 4:1 mix and used sharpsand. This was fine but would like to know if any other possibilities. Finishes?
I have seen sponge flaots-what finish do they give?
Any advice appreciated. Can upload photos if it helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
I note that it is designed for houses with solid brick single walls.
The annex i have has been constructed with a double wall from concrete blocks so i guess that i could simply fill the void to achieve less heat loss.
It seems that the system you point to is designed for larger projects and consists of expanded polystyrene fixed to the outside wall and then renedered. I had seen some houses being built in Dorset and bing on the main road witnessed their progression. It appears they used this or a very similar system. I am not sure whether my project warrants this and being double wall may not be necessary.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
My vote is also with that material. I also used it and have not faced any difficulty till now. I think go for it again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back