Advice for a flat roof needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof over the kitchen extension 5.3m X 2.5m, it's been there donkeys and needs renewing since my foot almost went through it last time I went on it. I got a local builder/roofer with a good reputation to come have a look and quote me for the job. Whilst waiting for the quote to come, I am looking into the construction side of it, and thought I could probably tackle this job myself. I have looked at different coverings and wanted some advice as to what's best. Is the epdm good to use ? The builder was talking about some product that should be painted every two years or so.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Builder/roofer = Builder who trys his hand at roofing=Painted every 2 years(absoloute rubbish),steer away from that .There are many coverings i would suggest 18 mm ply(sounds like currently chipboard thats kaput) and 2 layer of High performance torch on felt,cap sheet being mineral.You want sbs and not app(this is what the felt is coated with on the underside).My dads roof was done with felt 29 years ago and still going strong,Bouder felt ;) There is nothing wrong with epdm but if you go that route make sure its a roofer fitting it as many people,joiners,brick layers,handy men fit this stuff.You can go on a 3 day course learning how to fit the stuff but you need a back ground in roofing to undertake such things.Im in the process of doing a factory roof which was done my a local painter/decorater firm who started doing GRP,The roof is less than 5 years old and cost 15 grand.Like i said you need a back ground in roofing.

most flat roofs are constructed from solid concrete, very very strong, the most ud need to worry about is leaking if the system to get rid of water becomes blocked. Also, a lot of these "modern" houses look like they have flat roofs, but it might just be a wall that extends up past the roof (called a parapet) to make it look flat, the roof will be sloped behind this wall and have drainage as a normal house would.

Sponsored Links
The good thing about the EPDM is that you can get it in one big sheet with no joins. With felt, you'll have joins.... probably several. And I dont care what anybody says, Joins on any flat roof is a weak point.

Hi

Take a look at 'liquid plastics' and 'tor coatings' web sites - similar products, come with 10/15/25yr guarantees depending on the type of system used, at end of guarantee period all that is required is a fresh top coating (not quite as straight forward as it sounds) which extends the guarantee a further 10 yrs.

From what you have said you may need to consider replacing the decking, however, on a more positive note if not already done this would provide an opportunity to add insulation to the roof! Both the above systems can be applied directly to insulation material, and the tor coating is breathable and I assume that liquid plastics would be the same?

Regards

I have seen some older Liquid Plastics treatment - Decadex - was impressed with it and how it had lasted :idea:

The good thing about the EPDM is that you can get it in one big sheet with no joins. With felt, you'll have joins.... probably several. And I dont care what anybody says, Joins on any flat roof is a weak point.

And I do not care what you say , what qualification do you have apart from an email address and total lack of knowledge ,for EPDM read tarpaulin , or rubber condom. the detailing is where that system breaks down. I can find a lot of good Flat Roofing companies that have been going for many many years and give real guarantees , I am sure you will try to tell me the same of EPDM thanks for edifying all of us with your thoughts lol

And I do not care what you say , what qualification do you have apart from an email address and total lack of knowledge ,for EPDM read tarpaulin , or rubber condom. the detailing is where that system breaks down. I can find a lot of good Flat Roofing companies that have been going for many many years and give real guarantees , I am sure you will try to tell me the same of EPDM thanks for edifying all of us with your thoughts lol

What he said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back