Advice for a Shed CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to install a new CU into my shed, the shed is apprx 28m from the house.
Im looking to install a garage cu with 63a 30ma Rccb rcd etc, MCB's type b = 1x6amp for a flourescent light and 1x32amp for 2 double sockets, (for a fridge/freezer, tumble dryer and a spare socket for tools, chargers, lawnmower etc, run in a 2.5mm t&e ring. 1.5mm t&e for the flourescent light.

I have a 3 spare 32amp MCB's on my Main CU in the house, basically i need abit of advice on the following.

Size of SWA to use? mounting and laying requirements from the main cu to the shed? (can it be fixed to a concrete fence and run to the shed or does it have to be buried?)

Upgrading the mcb in the main consumer unit to a 40amp to supply the Garage CU Is this sufficaint ?

Running the t&e in the shed, can it be run in normal mini trunking or does it have to be conduit?

I know most of these questions are in the forums somewhere? but just cant find some of them...

Thanx :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Spoco said:
I am wanting to install a new CU into my shed, the shed is apprx 28m from the house.

Ok, this is notifiable work so remember to notify your BCO before you start work.

Spoco said:
Size of SWA to use? mounting and laying requirements from the main cu to the shed? (can it be fixed to a concrete fence and run to the shed or does it have to be buried?)

6mm² SWA at a minimum for 40A MCB.

Standard practice is to bury it 450mm deep, backfill 3/4 then lay warning tape then fill the last 1/4.

Fixing to fences isn't a good idea because if the fence falls it's going to damage the cable, but I would assume a concrete fence is a bit more sturdy so see if your BCO will accept it clipped to the fence.

Spoco said:
Upgrading the mcb in the main consumer unit to a 40amp to supply the Garage CU Is this sufficaint ?

Should be fine.

Spoco said:
Running the t&e in the shed, can it be run in normal mini trunking or does it have to be conduit

Mini-trunking is fine, remember the 45% space rule (no more than 45% of the space within the trunking can be filled with cables.)

Spoco said:
I know most of these questions are in the forums somewhere? but just cant find some of them...

Did you try the search function? There's millions of posts about feeding outbuildings :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back