Advice for best insulation/floor system please

Only wandering slightly off topic, but there must be a point where the amount of cavity insulation you have becomes irrelevant given that the base of the inner leaf of the wall is sat on the earth. Is that concept ever expressed in documents? Obviously the shorter the building (bungalow!) the more pronounced the effect.

Sponsored Links
Only wandering slightly off topic, but there must be a point where the amount of cavity insulation you have becomes irrelevant given that the base of the inner leaf of the wall is sat on the earth. Is that concept ever expressed in documents? Obviously the shorter the building (bungalow!) the more pronounced the effect.

I'm going to guess it's negligent in value, or perhaps it's a given constant, but if that were the case I would have thought it would have a value like Rsi and Rso in I values.

However I have been looking at blocks called Perinsul which help reduce the cold bridging you would normally expect from the cold slab transferring into the inner skin.

Yes, that's basically a thermal bridge. It isn't essential to worry for a normal wall as the path to unheated space is quite long anyway, but you can get marmox insulated blocks which are strong but have a decent u value.
You can even get thermal breaks for structural steel if you have goal posts or something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back