Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a mid 80's detached with suspended floors with air bricks.

Currently no carpets and gaps etc. at skirting boards, so plenty of draft opportunities.

The ground floor is split over two levels with three rooms open plan so a big area to heat.

I want to put in some insulation between the joists, and I'm leaning towards the cut to width boards, Celotex, laid on battens on the joists.....

Is this the 'best' solution in terms of thermal floor insulation?
The lower the u-value the better the insulation?
I need to 'foam seal' all around the edges too?

Any recommendations? thanks

Sponsored Links
Not here for any confrontation or string of abuse.....but perhaps I'm incorrect but a response ending .....'(n)' = sarcasm?....helpful....thanks for your input

No sarcasm intended, there's a thousand threads on here asking how best to do this but you've got every aspect covered. Ensure your insulation boards are tight to the underside of your floor boards and you don't forget the gaps between the last joist and the wall.

Sponsored Links
Saw the thumbs down and I've seen a lot of sarcastic responses on other threads, so apologies but I wasn't sure.....

So no air gap between floorboard and insulation, thanks

I'll do a search on other threads

Mmmm, something I forgot to mention is I'll be destroying the currently floor boards (old chipboard sheets), so as I'm laying a new floor is there a material I could use that provides any additional insulating properties?

thanks

If you have 200mm deep joists personally I'd prefer mineral wool. Cheaper, much easier to fit and avoids any potential condensation problems. It's personal preference though. Maybe price each option and go from there.

If you use squirty foam downwards to seal the cracks it will drip out for the first half hour, so use some stuffing to support it.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back