advice for building bunk beds out of just MDF boards

is this a good idea in principle?

• yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In answer to your question whether you should build it or not...... YES! Go for it, it's creative.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies,
here's my latest plan:

Timber Frame: 2x3inch posts measuring 96cm x 200cm.
Horizontal beams 2x4inch.
12mm plywood (hopefully not from China, but Marine ply looks almost twice as expensive!).

I'm wondering about the fixings which will connect the horizontals to the posts.... perhaps a couple of threaded inserts or cross dowels with connector bolts? (going through the posts and 2 inches into the horizontals).
- not sure what you call em - the kinda things you get with Ikea furniture - with a nut inside the other piece of wood and which is turned 90 degrees to secure/lock it.
..although this could mean 5inch bolts, so perhaps I may need to cut a 1 inch notch out of the 3 inch side of the posts when using these bolt/insert/fittings?

I know notches have been advised, but not sure if this is overkill if I'm using a 12mm plywood as a shell around the frame?

excellent job bet your proud and have the happiest kid around :D :D

well done
and thanks for taking the time to let us know how you got on it makes it all worth it ;)

Sponsored Links
Yeah I'm proud of it and she seems to like it.
Although I don't get to see her in it...this one is at her muns. I was going to make 2 (snd have one at my place) but it took so long I don't think I'll make another one (not for a while anyway! )

Made lots of mistakes too but there's a learning curve!
And got there in the end.

Great job! Thanks for posting the pics. It's funny, I was thinking of this thread only yesterday and was wondering if you had done it or not.

What paint did you use?

Nice job - at least when your daughter isn't with you hopefully she's thinking about what her Dad did for her.

Good job

I used a johnstones oil based paint.
With 2 coats of oil based undercoat/primer mixed (and mixed with the similar colour gloss finish too).
It weighs a tonne. Had to dismantle completely to get it inside.
Wish I didn't do 90x190 and done it slightly smaller.

Nice job.

I think with a lot of these things, you have to build one first to learn how to build it they way you want it!

Yeah I'm proud of it and she seems to like it.
Although I don't get to see her in it...this one is at her muns. I was going to make 2 (snd have one at my place) but it took so long I don't think I'll make another one (not for a while anyway! )

Made lots of mistakes too but there's a learning curve!
And got there in the end.

You always wait for ages then two come along together. :LOL:

I tend to use marine ply for one main reason.

It is incredibly strong.

I have used 18mm sheets of marine ply as a trampoline and they just give, but with no sign of damage. Try that with ordinary ply.

As I am well in excess of mumble stone now, that strength is appreciated!

But also appreciated where bouncing kids are concerned.

If you ever wonder why Marshall Speakers sound better than similar looking speakers it's because they are made from marine ply.....

Sponsored Links
Back