advice for opening concrete ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove walls between kitchen and lounge, structural engineer could not visually work out if the walls are load-bearing as all walls in the flat are solid walls. (it's a concrete purposed build building).

He suggested to remove finishes to underside of ceiling back to underside of concrete to see if Precast plank joints exist. The area needs to be opened up are 3m x 0.5m on the ceiling of both side of the wall. What tool is best for the job? Angle grinder with SDS drill?

Structure engineer said it should be 1-2 inches thick, how do I know when to stop when it hits the slap or joist as they are all concrete?

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
as all walls in the flat are solid walls.

High risk removing any wall in a flat. Support of the building above your flat may be compromised if any structural alterations are made in your flat.

Clauses in your deeds may forbid any such changes.

High risk removing any wall in a flat. Support of the building above your flat may be compromised if any structural alterations are made in your flat.

Clauses in your deeds may forbid any such changes.

Thanks, I'm on top floor and the lease says we can do it so long it complies with all building registration requirement and that's why structure engineer is involved. My other option is to proceed as if they are load bearing which apparently will cost a lot more than opening up ceiling first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back