Removing Internal Walls - Is this a Structural Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right lads, belt up,

I am renovating a 1957 brick cavity wall-built bungalow an am planning to remove the wall between the kitchen and lounge as one of my first jobs. I had designed a beam to span the opening on the basis that the ceiling joists coloured pink in the attached plan would be supported by said wall, leaving a buttress / nib to support the bearing at the rear elevation.

It transpires however, that on further investigation, the wall in question which I had assumed to be constructed from load-bearing clay bricks - as the external walls and load-bearing wall between the front bedroom and lounge are - is actually built from 3" clinker block. (Yes, the awful black stuff that you can push a screwdriver through if you possess wrists stronger than those of a new-born child). Has anyone seen this used in a structural application before?

On closer inspection, it turns out that there is also plasterboard between the underside of the ceiling joists and the top of the clinker block wall. Therefore, the ceiling must have been finished prior to erecting the wall - correct? The pink ceiling joists are secured to double joists (furthest right joists on the ceiling framing plan) that run from the internal structural wall, to the front and rear elevation, by nailing left-to-right through the double joists and into the end grain of the pink joists. By pulling away some of the bits of plasterboard, there is clearly a gap between the underside of the joists and the top of the clinker wall.

So finally I'll get to the point. All of the above leads to me believing that the kitchen wall is merely a partition and is not supporting the pink ceiling joists at all. Were this not my house, I'm sure I'd be telling someone else that this was the case and to go ahead and smash the s**t out of it and get it gone. But it is, and my a*se has gone. So can someone please give me their thoughts on this? Have you seen this joist layout before, and do you concur that the clinker wall is not supporting the ceiling joists.

Photos and Plan attached.

Cheers, Spaceworm

Attachments

• Ceiling Framing Plan1.jpg
    Ceiling Framing Plan1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 146
  • InkedTop of Kitchen Wall 1_LI.jpg
    InkedTop of Kitchen Wall 1_LI.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 120
  • InkedTop of Kitchen Wall 3_LI.jpg
    InkedTop of Kitchen Wall 3_LI.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 121
  • InkedTop of Kitchen Wall 5_LI.jpg
    InkedTop of Kitchen Wall 5_LI.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Top of Kitchen Wall 6.jpg
    Top of Kitchen Wall 6.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Top of Lounge Wall.jpg
    Top of Lounge Wall.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back