advice from a good plumber please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys hope you can help.

on saturday my toilet at work blocked.

called an emergancy plumber and he came to have a look.

we have like this waste disposal type pump that had broken. he took the lid of and - yep, it was full of you know what.

he said it was broken and scooped all the contents out into a bin liner which he then left in the shop. he then said he would have to get a new unit and wanted the unit payed for up front.

i said he would have to deal with h/o on monday.

when i looked in the toilet there was feces all sprayed up the back wall and left on the floor, plus a bag of feces just left in the shop, which smelt so bad i had to get rentokil out to clean up the mess he left and take away the bag at a cost of £180. They said the state he'd left it was a serious health hazard.

is this normal? he has not yet been paid and wants to complete the work today, but i don't think he should have left my toilet in that state and just left a bag of feces in the shop, rotting.

help! what do i do and is this in anyway acceptable??? plus he hasn't even given me a quote and he's ringing up saying he can do the work now!

Sponsored Links
A replacement macerator will cost from about £250 upwards to purchase so payment upfront is not uncommon depending on how you found the plumber.
These machines do spray when they block from a vent pipe so the mess you describe can happen.
It should have been cleaned up on the day however for yours and his convienience.
As for health hazard he may claim it was placed out of order and not in use and being fixed/cleaned up on monday which maybe reasonable.
Will you be claiming on your insurance?

Get a quote before the work commences.
Pete

£180 for a bag of shyte :eek: .......It`s 50p @ the local stables :LOL: I just love you city types

Nige F said:
£180 for a bag of shyte :eek: .......It`s 50p @ the local stables :LOL: I just love you city types

180 quid and i bet there wasnt any sweetcorn in it either :D :D :D :D
why not try and sell it on ??? you dont need another plumber to tell you its still a bag of poop

Sponsored Links
It was your shi#e in first place so why expect the guy to take it with him.

namsag said:
It was your shi#e in first place so why expect the guy to take it with him.

Now that hits a nail on the head.

If the stuff was all up your walls then he must have had a good blast of it over his work clothes. Still I bet he didn't do another job that day and had to go straight home for a shower and change of clothes. Contrary to your belief; plumbers [apart from a perverse minority] do not enjoy getting covered in shi#e.
He has had a bad experience already yet is prepared to finish the job which in itself is another bad experience that I would be dreading. If you tried to stick a bill into him for cleaning your poo from your walls then that would add an insult to the injury.
Having said that I suggest you at least discuss any further cleaning issues AND get a quote before you let him do any more work.

:LOL: :LOL: @ you guys ................I don`t mind a bit of poo.......once it`s been in a drain ..........but fresh from t`anus ................never :mad: :mad: How do the Care Assistants in hospitals manage :oops: :mad:

I have the greatest of respect for those people who care for the elderly an infirm whipping there as#es an cleaning them up etc.

Its cheaper to use a cleaner than a plumber to do cleaning!

Most plumbers will be flexible but most assume you want them to do the expert job and someone else will do the cleaning. Obviously this should have been discussed on site.

Tony

namsag said:
I have the greatest of respect for those people who care for the elderly an infirm whipping there as#es an cleaning them up etc.

Nige F said:
I don`t mind a bit of poo.......

Perversity has many different forms :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I bet there are few of us that haven't been covered in it at some time or other

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back