Advice Needed - Increasing the Pressure to my Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
New to the forum and looking for some advice e.t.c.
I live in Rural Ireland - Mains pressure not the best by a long way.
I currently have a Worcester Condensing Combi Boiler for my Central Heating (Radiators) and my Instant Hot Water. Cold water in Kitchen is from the Mains, Cold water in Bathroom/Ensuite is from a tank in the attic (Which is filled via the mains)

I think I am right in saying that if you have low pressure going into your combi boiler, you will have low flow coming out.
It takes ages to run a bath, but the power shower is fine!
In Ireland (As in the UK) you are not allowed to put a pump on the Mains so the mains pressure is the mains pressure.

I therefore had an idea that I wanted someone else to comment on.

What I was thinking of doing was feeding my combi boiler from the attic tank but putting a 2 or 3 bar pump after the tank (Before the boiler) so there would be a better flow/pressure into the boiler.
I've checked the boiler specs and it can take 5 Bar and the flow isn't a problem either.
Am I nuts? Will this work?
Only problem I can see is potentially running out of water in the tank (Using it much quicker than it fills) so that I might have to get a bigger tank.

Any comments would be appreciated. This might bit a little unorthodox but what the hell.

Thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
You're correct. pump the cold water storage to the boiler. Be aware though that higher pressure won't be the be all and end all as a combi has a finite rate at which it can heat up your water.....10-18 litres a minute as a mean average. So whilst it make increase hw flow rates don't expect power shower flows. And yes you may need a bigger tank......either replace or tandem 2 together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back