Advice needed - new staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a staircase and have two main criteria

1. I don't plan on replacing the staircase in my lifetime so it has to last many, many years

2. I want to avoid common staircase issues such as squeaking

The staircase company want to use the following materials

Stringer Material: Pine, Whitewood (32x230mm)

Tread Material: MDF (22mm)

- Riser Material: Plywood (9mm)

Are the materials specified good enough?

Sponsored Links
That's a fairly low spec stair and may feel a little bouncy unless you fix to the wall at multiple points. Put some stairs into a mill conversion almost 2 years back on the duplexes - from memory they were 38mm softwood stringers, 28mm softwood treads, 9mm plywood risers, but we couldn't side fix to the walls which were a metal lath system. I thought they were quite a decent spec at the time

Stairs tend to last a long time - the ones in my house are 140 years old, and were hacked together by a cheap-jack Victorian builder (at least the kite winders were) so hardly something you'd have got away with in a C&G exam - but they are still OK (albeit with one or two creaks)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am replacing a staircase and have two main criteria

1. I don't plan on replacing the staircase in my lifetime so it has to last many, many years

2. I want to avoid common staircase issues such as squeaking

The staircase company want to use the following materials

Stringer Material: Pine, Whitewood (32x230mm)

Tread Material: MDF (22mm)

- Riser Material: Plywood (9mm)

Are the materials specified good enough?
Stairbox? Cheap and cheerful staircases, do what they say, no reason to think you'd ever need to replace it. But as with everything you get what you pay for.

most off the stairs i have repaired for squeaks have had carpet bolstered in between the tread back and riser damaging the stair 'its not enough to cause danger but removes the support from the back off the tread causing extra load everywhere else

Sponsored Links
Stairbox? Cheap and cheerful staircases, do what they say, no reason to think you'd ever need to replace it. But as with everything you get what you pay for.
They are called TK Stairs

My fitter says that he doesn't like online staircase companies. Due to a bad experience where they sent out the wrong dimension stairs

Does anyone have any recommendations on a staircase company, that will preferably, come out to site, measure, then deliver the required stairs for the builder to fit?

If you let people know whereabouts you are you might get a sensible response

Hi veedee, yes I’m very interested, I’ve looked at a company called stairbox but not too sure? If you could please let me know then I can put them to my list of potentials, thanks

Hi veedee, yes I’m very interested, I’ve looked at a company called stairbox but not too sure? If you could please let me know then I can put them to my list of potentials, thanks
I used a company called 'Stair and Banister Ltd'

Ask for 'Jake' .

He came down, measured and offered some options. In the end, I chose a softwood staircase and I am delighted with it.

Good luck.. And if you do use the company, please update the thread on how you got on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back