Stairs construction property 1850's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My girlfriend is about to purchase a 2.5 storey thatched stone Grade II listed building with a pretty steep staircase up into the ".5 storey" almost like a second story - essentially in the eaves of the roof.

The listed building office, quite rightly does not like the construction of the existing staircase. It is currently made out of nasty looking pine with no risers. She wants it made from Oak. It's a straight stair case.

I've made a staircase from timber stringers and MDF risers/goings before. I would like to know IF in the 1850's it would be standard practice to use the same techniques to construct a stair case. Thus, I should be able to use my staircase jig and just build everything from green oak. I've got a thickness/planner, so can take some cheaper nasty stock and build it from that if required.

I've spoken to B.C. and they have no problems and don't care what I make it from as long as I replace like with like they won't be bothered it does not adhere to current regs.

Many Thanks Paul.

Sponsored Links
Construction of a 1850's staircase is pretty much similiar to modern stairs , the basic form of housing risers and treads and wedging had been established by then. Generally speaking the pitch has come down a bit as very steep stairs are often found in older properties.
Having said that I've come across several stairs that were built in situ so to speak with treads and risers just nailed to studded walls either side and then again a couple of years ago I had to build a staircase insitu out of timbers and ply that was left over from a different job as the site agent didn't want to pay for joinery. Again , more recently fitting a flight found it wasn't actually possible to get it into the building in one piece and ended up cutting it in half. In essence there will always be variables.
I'm a little wary about the green oak, seasoned would be much better to help prevent shrinkage , warping and splitting.Maybe it would be possible to cut to thicknesses and aclimatise in the building for 6 months or so. Some power tools don't like green oak as the moisture makes the waste stick together and you are constanly unblocking them , planers are notable for this.
Still good luck and maybe a few piccys of the place?

Sponsored Links
ladylola,

Thank you very much for your reply. The good thing is that your response indicates I can use my Stair Jig and my power tools to form the stringers and then normal cutting for risers and goings with a bull nose to the going. The LBO seems to want them rounded off. Which, from 1890's staircases I've, err, altered is normal. Not so sure in the 1850's, but I will go with what she say's it's not too hard.

I would LOVE to use seasoned oak for the reasons you express. To be honest I've got my eye on a load on ebay. However, it's way more than I need, but is 3 years old. It's LOTS. It's also about £900. I'm sure it would get used.

The pitch is pretty steep due to it being .5 and up in a loft.

We are due at the house on the weekend to measure the stairs as I need to do drawings for LBO prior to making the stairs, so she can Ya or Na them.

I will post some pictures of the place. It is VERY pretty....

Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back