Replacing 1970's stair parts - any suggestions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First time on here so bear with me. I want to refurnish my staircase but not sure how to do it. I basically have a straight staircase to landing, with a handrail on the lefthand side which is a long plank of wood which has clading attached to it blocking the stairs in (I will add pictures). Very 1970's. The newal posts are essential 4 x 4inch posts screwed to the outside of the stringer (I can see the screws). The newal at the top is screwed into the wall next to the staircase, but not secured to the staircase. Only the stringers are attached to the upper joist (if you know what I mean). Usually stairs have the newal posts integral to the stiars, in line with the stringer, so that the handrail sits over stringer. In my case if I was to add a hand rail to the newal the spindles would not line up with stringer (base rail) so I think I've 2 options:

1: - Cut a notch out of a handrail and fit it to the newal so that it sits above the stringer - I can then add the spindles / base rail; I think this is within my ability but would look second best, or

2: - I assume that I more or less have an open staircase that someone has added the stair parts to, so I could (if I had the ability), remove the newals (they are not integral to the stairs) and try to cut new newal posts so that they sit over the stringers at the top and bottom and then I could add a handrail and spindles. This probably beyond my ability to do a good job!!

Any suggestions? Has anyone seen this type of stair construction before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ive got the same problem as what this poster had.

any answers or ideas on this would be most welcome

I managed to sort this out - take a look at the photos I've just posted.

Basically, if you add a new handrail to the newals then the spindles would 'miss' the stringer, so what you do is add a piece of say 3" x 2" to the stringers between the newals for the base rail to sit on. Simple as that.

You can see that I left the hand rail and base rail natural and painted the other parts white - I think it looks pretty good.

You need to keep in mind the regulations concerning handrail height and spindle centres, and also watch for trapped fingers with the landing walls.

Got all the parts from B&Q - the larger size of the 2 on offer - got the more expensive hand rail and base rail but cheapo spindles because they are painted - I think they were even primed.

All in all £200 and about 3 steady days work for me - remember when it comes to cutting the handrail - measure 10 times and cut once!

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice .
and your stairs look good.it now gives me another option and looks better than just notching a bit off the hand rail

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back