Cutting/Removing Stair Newal Post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, new to the forum. Been using this for a few months now so thought I better sign up!
We are currently renovating our stairs and bannister. Bannister is currently 70's style with a newal top and bottom with two long lengths of timber running between the two. We want to do away with this and replace it with ceiling to stringer spindles. To do this means cutting the existing newal down to flush with the floor on our landing upstairs. I don't want to remove the newal, just cut it down so that there is a nice flush finish to the landing bannister (obviously).
However, I am slightly nervous about doing so for a couple of reasons.
1: If the newal is structural.
2: It will weaken our landing bannister which is concrete block.

I have (hopefully) attached some photos of what the newal currently looks like. I'm sorry but I didn't have my multi tool on me to cut the floor boards to see how it is fixed inside the sub floor.

Photo 1: is the newal in question. From what I can so far see, it is not actually attached to the adjoining wall besides some dodgy plastering.
Photo 2: is the bottom of the newal showing that the stringer is sat inside the newal in a groove (sorry, probably not the correct Carpentry term!) and that the newal appears to be dowelled securing the stringer.
Photo 3: is the newal from the landing side.
Photo 4: is the bottom of the newal from the kitchen which is underneath the top of the stairs. This wall appears to be supporting the top of the stairs along with the landing floor.

So, can I cut down the newal flush with the floor and top stair (if possible) upstairs and flush with the kitchen wall downstairs without causing any structural damage/future damage?

If I've not shown something or explained something very well, please tell me and I will try to explain further.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.

IMG_20191127_183835.jpg
IMG_20191127_074049.jpg
IMG_20191127_183748.jpg
IMG_20191127_192851.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you draw a line in the first picture showing where you want to cut the post?

Sponsored Links
I think his question answered that Johnny. He wants to cut the post flush with the landing floor and the bottom of the post flush with the ceiling.

I personally think it would be okay but unsure if the stair case is reliant on the post for structural rigidity. Perhaps additional screws needed in the part of the post left?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back