Putting a turn\wind in stairs, existing support questionable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. i'm looking at the possibility of putting a turn into our existing straight stairs and whilst looking at the joists on the top landing i've found that the stairs aren't supported in the manner i'm used to - if at all!
I was expecting the top of the stairs to be leaning against the last joist of the landing, but i found that it appears to be sitting down onto a steel section - there is no joist for 12" from the top of the stairs, and the wall sits a good 6" back. (see images) (Images 1821 + 1822 are from below showing the steel, which is about 6mm thick).

Image 1826 shows what i'm intending to do (new steps marked out by string. the going etc all complies to Part K (just checking the angle), and what i'm intending to do is pop a newall post where the string converges, bolt that onto the existing stair, bolt the top onto the joist for the landing and then hang 4x2" across from the post to joist hangers on the wall to support the 3 new risers. the only snag is that to do this i'd need to cut into the existing side of the stairs level with the existing top step, (can provide photo) and i was concerned about support, but looking at this steel not now!, now i'm concerned about support for the existing stairs - any of you guys seen this type of thing before, i'm wondering if there was a post coming down here originally. whats your opinion on this lot structurally?

Sponsored Links
there are no images - u need to use photobucket or similar and then add a link

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back