Support for new staircase in loft conversion (with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm after some help on how to support a new staircase to access a new loft conversion i'm having done.

Basically, I want to put in a new staircase which has 3 winders (45 degree turn) near the top of the flight, which enables me to reach the top step directly under the ridge for maximum head height.

The issue is that there are no loadbearing walls to support the new stair strings on.
I understand a straight flight can support itself entirely off the double joist at the top via the straight strings either side of the tread, but i'm unsure how I support these particular stairs with having the winders (especially the outer corner where the stairs turn to the right). I thought maybe a post could be fixed where the two trimmer joists meet that drops below the FF ceiling line to the winders and fix the corner of the stairs to the post (so that it is acting like a hanger in a way)?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. I've attached some rough diagrams to help.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back