Staircase... Supporting a Quarter Landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm hoping to do a DIY loft conversion. The stairs up to the loft is in quite a tight space but I've trawled the local planning applications and seen an unusual (but efficient) staircase design that I may replicate. Attached is a PDF with the plan and a pictures from my flat.

The staircase is a double winder style that winds over the existing main 'up' stairs with a quarter landing over an existing hallway.

One wall is an external brick wall, the other wall is a stud wall. What I can't get my head around is one edge of the half landing and 2xwinder stair (treads 9, 10 & 11) has no wall to support it on the far side.

In the picture they would be hovering across the stair well seen on the right and a little down the hall from the door just in picture on the left.

Anyone knowledgeable in the arts of staircases able to help me and suggest how these may be supported?

Many thanks,
L.A.

Attachments

• Landing and Pics.pdf
    267.2 KB · Views: 559
Sponsored Links
Usually a fabricated steel frame between your solid wall and your stud wall, assuming its structural right down to the ground floor, which would sit within the string of the stair, or a support along the stud wall side combined with a hanging newel at point 11/12 which would be tied to the structure above and possibly a combination of the two. You'll then have to work out how you can support the top of the stairs at 14. You may have to redesign a little maybe move some of the treads from 4-7 to the end after 14, to allow a trimmer across the landing. But then you'll need to be careful about your head height across the existing 1st floor landing.
I would take this to on of the online staircase manufacturers they will be able to guide you through the process and your options and come back with a drawing that you could check for head heights etc.
Why do you need such a compact staircase (no dormer?) if possible I would replicate the arrangement you have from the ground floor up with a main flight, half landing then a few steps up, would look much more in keeping and not cut across your existing landing.

Hi, thank you for the reply way back and apologies I've taken ages to reply.

After contacting several staircase companies it looks like this is prohibitive on the bounds of cost/complexity/weight and head height.

You're correct - I need such a tight staircase because I don't have rights to build a dormer, so only doing a velux conversions.

On the plus side, building control are happy with a space saver staircase as the loft conversion only serves a single room. I was a little surprised by that but happy.

Cheers,
LA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back