Half Landing Newel - Opening Victorian Understairs Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to open-up an understairs cupboard in a victorian terrace house.
The staircase is a "quarter landing with winder" according to diag. in http://www.homebuilding.co.uk/feature/staircase-design
Sides of staircase (strings to floor) are clad in t&g - cupboard accessed via door beneath 1/4-landing.
I'd like to remove t&g panelling & door so I can put a piano beneath the stairs, but there's a problem...
The newel post that should support 1/4 landing down to floor level has been cut off and now sits on 4"x2" door-frame... not ideal, but it's supported the landing for the last 20years!
To fit the piano I need to remove cladding and doorframe, so I'll have to find a new way to support the newel.
If I just reinstate the original post down to the floor I won't be able to sit at the piano!!!
Anyone got any experience with removing this newel? - I'd wondered about a steel bracket on the party wall cantilevering out beneath the top tread of the 1st run of stairs, onto which the cut-down newel can be fixed......
I can't believe I'm the first person to want to open out such a staircase and wondered if anyone could advise of the simplest solution!

Sponsored Links
Why not? If one can support a chimney breast with brackets, why not a landing....
You may get a good sized cast-iron bracket from a salvage yard, or you could make a decorative bracket out of oak or even softwood, and fix it to the wall with coach screws/plugs. After all, Westminster Abbey roof is supported by wood brackets.
As it will be on show, it needs to be well executed of course, otherwise a future house buyer might cock a snook.
Does the house have a porch supported by brackets, or are there other cantilevered roof features from which you could pick up architectural detail.... make it look as if it's always been there....

Post a pic of the problem via Photobucket.

Ivor

Thanks Ivor - We had a carpenter take a look at it the other night and he suggested exactly the same thing - an oak gallows bracket supporting the newel - looks like that's the way forward
Cheers
James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back