Stair Handrail Detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently planning out the staircase for a new loft conversion, and I've come across a problem. It's a simple straight staircase, but there's a stud wall that starts part way up the stairs, my problem is how do I finish off the handrail where it meets the stud wall? It will be partially overlapping (because the handrail will be in line with the stringer, while the stud wall will be slightly offset to the right), and might look like a bodge if I'm not careful...

I plan on putting a handrail on the left side, so I just need a tidy way of terminating the handrail on the right. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Why does the stud not stop in line with the stringer so open balustrading up to the U/S of the ceiling?

Bit like this:

Ceilingl.jpg

Because of the position of the fire door, this view of the old stairs might give you an understanding why...

I could move the fire door a bit, but not enough to make the staircase entirely open. I'm now thinking I could put in a sort of half newel against the stud wall, it would require some careful cutting to sit cleanly over the stringer but could look fairly decent. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back