Advice needed - New Sub Floor - Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

We've lived with a high water table under the house since we moved in a few years ago. There is no damp in the house although we suffer with bad condensation on the windows (UPVC) and one interior corner wall (which I've hopefully just rectified with good insulation paper and a de-humidifier).

The crawl space under the floor is approx 850cm and the water makes an appearance after heavy rainfall in a few lower places where the floor meets the shared wall. The rest of the floor is water free but always damp and it seems to be just earth under there. There is lots of ventilation in the way of airbricks and I even put in a few extra ones last year.

We've had a couple of damp 'experts' out to the house and they just said as long as it's not penetrating above the DPC then there's nothing to worry about. However, we can definitely smell damp now, it seems top be coming up through the carpets.

What we're thinking of is taking up the whole ground floor floor and getting someone to put in a concrete floor up to the current level. With the correct DPCs in place, can anyone let me know if this is possible and, more importantly, would it work? I know it's a big job but we want to stay in the house and just want this sorted now.

Any advice greatfully received, including what sort of cost I'd be looking at.

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Yes it is possile but thats a lot of concrete !!

You could use hardcore initially to bring the height up, then a layer of sand. The DPM i would incorporate (where possible) into the brickwork below your original damp course, effectively giving you 2 damp courses. Fill the remaining with concrete but leave it just below your original dampcourse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back