advice needed on 12v reccessed lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to install 4 x 50watt reccessed 12v lights into my hall.

I am intending to use this transformer (300w as may add more lights in future)
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...THZOSFEY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=96308-94

Will it be safe to use 1.5mm cable for each light taking the 12volts?

I have read a lot about curent on here, but still unsure what I should be using.

A friend said I should use an individual transformer for each light? Could I use instead 2 transfermers each having 2 lights connected? Then keeping this 1.5mm cable.

Hope you can help

Many Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
One Transformer per light is the norm now. This keeps the high current, low voltage side of it to a minimum.

Personally I would go for seperate transformer for each light. That way if one goes you still have some lights!

The only problem with installing the single transformer is that you need to watch the distances from it to each light - at 12V your voltage drop is much greater than at 230V and this will affect the brightness. I seem to remember something about 2m max distance???

Your idea of 2 lights per 105W transformer would be slightly better.

1.5 cable is OK to use for all scenarios

SB

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back