Advice needed on dormer roof insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We have a bungalow with a dormer roof which has vented soffits (image attached) in cold weather the soffits allow cold air into the roof so the edges of the ceiling are colder and moisture condenses on these cold areas which leads to mould (image attached). I have recently fitted a loft hatch to allow access to the roof space and have seen that there is a membrane on the top side of the plaster board ceiling which seals the moisture in. There is insulation in the roof which has been pushed out to the roof which I assume prevents ventilation which the soffits are intended to provide.
My question is what can I do to prevent moisture condensation at the ceiling edges? Do I actually need ventilated soffits can I cover most of them with insulation and use something like this in a few sections

Roll Panel Vents | Manthorpe

The Roll Panel Vents are designed to maintain a flow of air to the roof space from the eaves, thereby allowing the escape of built-up moisture. Made from a continuous single profile, the panel can be rolled out over several rafters to create a ventilated gap beneath the felt running the span of...
Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.
Regards
Stephen

Attachments

• Insulation1.jpg
    Insulation1.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Insulation3.jpg
    Insulation3.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Mould.jpg
    Mould.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Soffits.jpg
    Soffits.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
Do I actually need ventilated soffits can I cover most of them with insulation and use something like this in a few sections

Roll Panel Vents | Manthorpe

Keep the soffit vents uncovered.
Covering them up could lead to some bigger problems in your roof structure, than a bit of mould on the ceiling.

Personally, I have used these:
They are far easier to cut to size and push into the eaves than the roll.
And then I stuffed as much insulation as I could, underneath them.

Thanks for your advice I have ordered some of those roof vents (400mm) for 16 inch beams.

Regards

Stephen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back