Advice needed on how to flush out central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused:
Hi
I am posting on here on behalf of my not so noligable DIY hubby.
We have a radiator the (last feed) that stays cold (slightly luke warm at the top, its in the family room, but know one wants to sit in there without having to wear 3 jumpers, because the rad does not push any heat out, we think it may need cleaning out, the whole system that is, so what I am asking can anyone on here give a step by step on how to do this, as we are a bit thick in that area. Thanks greatly in advance.

Jane :cry:

Sponsored Links
For a diy method, the best approach is to take each radiator off the wall and flush it through in both directions with a hose. Then use a system cleaner chemical for a couple of weeks, and drain and refill adding corrosion inhibitor.

Unlikely to be sedimental problem. More likely to be lack of commissioning on the installation.

If you close the valves on other radiators, does culprit heat up?

oilman said:
For a diy method, the best approach is to take each radiator off the wall and flush it through in both directions with a hose. Then use a system cleaner chemical for a couple of weeks, and drain and refill adding corrosion inhibitor.
:?:

Most of my radiators are cold at the bottom and the heating is not very efficient, the pump makes a humming noise when starting in the mornings, the boiler is also hummingly noisy, I had a ch plumber in to have a look at the system under an insurance policy abd was told that the system needed power-flushing. Unfortunatelt the ins. co. will not cover this under the policy. i have been quoted £600 plus for the job. i ham thinking about hiring a power-flush pump and do the job myself. Having read up on it I feel I can do the job but am getting a bit confused about where to put the stops/bungs in at the F&E tank. Can you help and also how safe and effective will the power-flushing be. Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Have you seen this ? Removing and claening at least one radiaor will confirm if powerflushing would help. Powerflushing will take you all day and it's constant work, there's no time for sitting around.

Thanks for all the replies on here, will try out them and let you know which one worked, the power flush idea, have to read up on that 1.

Cheers all
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back