Advice Needed Regarding Door Locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we're replacing the locks on the front and back door in our house as they're aged now and a few neighbors have had issues with theirs being tampered recently. Just wondering if anyone could advise me on the safest door lock type?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on the door type.

Is it a modern door where you lift the handle and turn the key to lock it (ie a euro lock)?

the safest door lock type?

A British Standard BS3621 5-lever mortice lock.

Second best, a BS3621 deadlockable cylinder lock.

If you have a plastic door, I doubt you will find one to fit, but a sturdy breadknife will cut through a plastic door, so no point.

the safest door lock type?

If you have a plastic door, I doubt you will find one to fit, but a sturdy breadknife will cut through a plastic door, so no point.

Now don't be daft John, pvc doors are generally steel reinforced so I doubt very much a breadknife will cut it if you pardon the pun, now a timber door well that's a different story ;)

Sponsored Links
Corners? bits of steel to stiffen them.

Central panel? Made of expanded foam with a plastic skin.

I know your a timber guy but I do wonder why at every opportunity you get you feel the need to slate pvc doors, I appreciate a nice looking wooden door as much as the next guy but I appreciate why pvc doors exist also as well as composites, some people just don't want to be painting or staining every two years

I suppose it must have been triggered when the OP asked for "safest door lock type"

Bump, twist, corkscrew, snap, pull.

Not a Eurocylinder, then.

The OP hasn't confirmed the door type yet, if it turns out that it incorporates a euro cylinder then I'd disagree with you and suggest there are plenty of anti bump, anti drill, anit snap, anti pick euro cylinders available

Corners? bits of steel to stiffen them.

Central panel? Made of expanded foam with a plastic skin.

And if you've had a reputable seller , the foam filled panel will be reinforced with either MDF or PLY

Or even steel reinforced.
Timber door, Drill with a hole saw and your basically in (same with non steel reinforced PVC panels too). But non of that matters when they will just break the glass anyway.
As for Euro cylinders (assuming PVC) Ultron or ABS locks both have 3 star, Diamond security ratings. Ultron even have a £1000 guarantee I believe https://www.ultion-lock.co.uk/

So if it passes the test, your example is presumably certificated. What does it cost?

What's cost got to do with anything, the OP asked what the safest door lock type was!

OK this is the safest door lock you can get....

images-2.jpg

Like I sad we don't know what type of door the OP is talking about, you rightly or wrongly due to your love affair with wood assumed it was timber door hence you quoted a 5 lever mortise lock and then a rim/yale/cylinder or whatever you want to call them and mocked a pvc door because in your opinion euro cylinders are all weak, granted some are but likewise some aren't, it's unfair to compare a BS361mortise lock to a £3 euro cylinder which is what you tried to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back