Advice needed to repair flaking masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in Scotland and I have some mullions and sills falling apart and I'm not sure what service I even need. You can see from the second image the entire top of the sill would come away if I knocked it hard enough so there's quite a bit needs to be taken out and rendered. Someone suggested just patching it up with a silicon based solution but I feel there's just too much missing and coming away for that to be viable. I don't need a perfect colour match as I'll be painting it once complete. I couldn't find much online about a DIY solution. I'm a little bit handy so I could possibly attempt a repair myself but I'm not sure what kind of render mixture I'd need.

20210820_133943.jpg
20210820_133935.jpg
20210820_133850.jpg

Attachments

• 20210820_133840.jpg
    20210820_133840.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Hungrybutterfly, good evening.

Looks as if the cracking is occurring on a retro-applies skim coat of sand / cement.

If you look @ image 2 you will see that the " top surface" of the sill has been allowed to overshoot the vertical part of the sill.

Most common reason for such types of failures is rain water permeating behind the applied render and saturating the underlying [Concrete???] sill and verticals.

Ken/

Hungrybutterfly, good evening.

Looks as if the cracking is occurring on a retro-applies skim coat of sand / cement.

If you look @ image 2 you will see that the " top surface" of the sill has been allowed to overshoot the vertical part of the sill.

Most common reason for such types of failures is rain water permeating behind the applied render and saturating the underlying [Concrete???] sill and verticals.

Ken/

Thanks for the response. Can you suggest a course of action? I presume I'll need to take off anything loose, clean up and apply a new render but what would that render be? Another mix of concrete and sand?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back