Advice needed urgently-Scottish Gas fitters are on their way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and thanks for any help:
My elderly parents have signed up for a free central heating renewal with Scottish Gas. (worth £4k apparently so not to be sniffed at)
They just got a 'phone call to say the new heating will be fitted this Thursday (16th June) A guy called today to take measurements and told them they will be getting a 25kw combi boiler "because they are more efficient". No choice.
When my dad asked what would happen to their existing storage tank and gas fired AGA cooker/hot water boiler he was told, "no problem we'll just isolate them"

Here's what they have just now:
A large and rambling victorian stone villa over two floors with 4 bedrooms.
A wall mounted gas boiler heating 12 radiators but not hot water.
A gas fired AGA (circa 1989) which heats hot water into an insulated storage tank in the downstairs kitchen and does cooking duties.

My concerns about the combi boiler option are as follows;
Will it be able to supply the level of hot water they are used to?
(They have a non-thermostatic shower connected to the bath taps and a large bath which is about 14 metres distance from their boiler)
Is it really "efficient" to junk a perfectly good storage tank and associated piework in a system that currently suits them fine, albeit an ancient one?
They are at home all day, both retired, cooking, washing, bathing.
What will the AGA do with all its surplus heat output if it is simply disconnected? Does a high powered appliance like this not need a dedicated, permanent heat sink? At present their water is always scalding hot. Where is the unused heat going to go?
Should they re-think this before the fitters arrive in 48hours?
Any thoughts welcome. ASAP please because of shortage of time.

Sponsored Links
would have to mesure up to be sure but to be fair
your getting a free boiler and new rads be happy

Fair point about it all being free. However I know many people who have been stranded without hot water whilst they wait for a boiler repair to a combi. At least with their current system they can switch on the electric immersion heater if the AGA ever broke which it never has. Also they have the back up of an electic immersion heater in the storage tank.
Can a combi really supply a good hot shower, whilst someone in the kitchen is drawing off hot water?

depend on the boiler and the shower combis are not one size fits all
howerver their are still open vent boiler on the market

Sponsored Links
its probably a 28kW combi they will be getting, its normally a potterton promax 28 that goes in with the scottish government scheme

There is also no reason they couldn't leave the cylinder in situ, and heat it from the combi via a 3 port valve.

thats not what you get under the government scheme, its a 7 rad combi system and you can have extra rads for £200 a time or something

one thing id be concerned of. is if the aga is disconnected/isolated. can it still be used for cooking.

I'd ask them the make and model of the boiler they intend to fit because there is some rubbish out there. then post it here for opinions.

I'd also ask them if they can provided you with their heat loss calculations
to ensure theyre not just offering a set piece so to speak.

I know its free but it might not be the best option !
say one of your parents is ill to put them off till you can suss whats going on.

The aga will be expensive to run, no problem disconnecting it from the cylinder, heat sink not needed and the hot water side is 1920's technology.

but lashings of really hot water !

What is your problem? As owners of a 4 bed detached, your parents don't sound particularly needy, and still they get a £4000 hand out funded by the taxpayer.
If you are that worried about them being without heating, pay for a top notch breakdown cover for them, and stop whinging.

Yeah heaven forbid that someone who has paid tax all their lives . Takes what they they are entititled to while its avialable and will save them on energy costs and see them out in there old age as there income drops in real terms. :rolleyes:

You've not had many helpful reponses, but that isn't unusual here

First off, if the scots guys are the same as the english ones, there is a fair chance of some dodgy work in, terms of visuals.

NO, the water delivery won't be as good, but in theory should be unlimited.

Was the time scale between the "planning" and start date really only 2 days. That seems a little bizzare? Did they have any input into the proposed location? (probably not, as it will be done to suit the fitters)

I am not experienced in solid fuel, but believe thet the Aga can be drained BUT NOT CAPPED, and be used dry as an oven / space heater (but I am prepared to be corrected)

The new sytem will be more "efficient", but not neccesarily as "effective"

How old are your parents, and do they really want this improvement. do they understand the implications? Do they knpow what rooms will be afected, and what are the arrangements for einstatement?

Get on the phone and ask to see the rep or advisor and express your concerns, as the fitters will be understandably upset if you start sking questions when they arrive, as they are normally in and out in one day, so time is precious.

Is the shower suitable for a combi system? Did the advisor check?

Personally, if they are warealthy, and the 4K is of little consequence, I would cancel the freebie and engage a recomended installer, who should take more care than the current ones may. (I am sure there are some good warmfront installers, but to date I haven't seen any evidence of that}

expertgasman wrote

I am not experienced in solid fuel, but believe thet the Aga can be drained BUT NOT CAPPED, and be used dry as an oven / space heater (but I am prepared to be corrected)

its a gas fired aga.

its a gas fired aga.[/quote]

Well spotted!

I currentl don't even work on normal cookers, and haven't handled an AGA
its a gas fired aga.[/quote]

Well spotted!

I currently don't even work on normal cookers, and haven't handled an AGA . I don't see why the boiler can not be decommissioned, subject to rules and precautions, and the arguments prevalent in the similiar BBU?fire scenario.

However, I beleive that a specific GS category is required for work on AGA type range equipment. If you follow the link below, you will see the SECOND registrant has RANGE listed. I beleive you need to make sure that at least one of the fitters have this category on their card. Ask to see ity and check the reverse.

But I would phone the install co. today ASAP with your concerns. It's not the fault of tomorrows fitters, but I can see they will end up losing out.

Link:

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/re...http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/Default.aspx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back