Removal of Aga water boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently getting my Central heating rads and boiler replaced. New boiler is a big combi and so the hot water will be run off that.

Currently hot water is heated by the Aga into a storage cylinder.

Does anyone know what is involved in removing the water heating bits of the Aga and reverting it to cooking only mode?

Also any idea of how much it should cost and who would be able to do the work?

Sponsored Links
The boiler can be removed from the AGA quite easily. The top of the AGA will need to be lifted off (two man job) and the insulating Vermiculite removed (vacuum?) and bagged to expose the boiler on the left hand side of the main combustion chamber.

The boiler is held on with bolts and brackets. Once these are undone the boiler should come free, perhaps with a few judicious taps with a hammer. Of course the flow and return pipes must first be disconnected (having drained the system). Additional vermiculite will be required to fill the void left by the boiler.

It is also necessary to modify the gas valve to reduce the gas flow to the burner to take account of the reduced heat capacity. This is very important and shouldn't be overlooked! The small part (an orifice, iirc) to make this modification is available from AGA but should really be fitted by a Corgi registered fitter with specific competence with ranges.

Yes, according to AGA. You can check out their website and forum.

Sponsored Links
would have thought if u drain and leave pipework open it wouldnt be any trouble.

I thought it was going to be as straight forward as just removing the pipework but I phoned AGA and they said the boiler section needs removing and the void filled with special packing material and then the AGA needs to be adjusted.

They could not give me any guide on how much work is involved or how much it should cost though. Anyone any idea?

fitz1 said:
would have thought if u drain and leave pipework open it wouldnt be any trouble.

It will cause trouble, look here to find more information.

They could not give me any guide on how much work is involved or how much it should cost though. Anyone any idea?

See above. It could take up a day, so be prepared. Oh, and think very hard before you go and fit a combi, then forget it and fit a standard boiler and cylinder.

And that`s 2 men .......because of the weight involved :cry:

Oh great. The combi boiler is already installed so its too late!

Its a Worcester Bosch Greenstar HighFlow 440 with a DHW buffer vessel. Is that not going to be good enough? It says its designed for larger houses with 2 bathrooms?

Wheres the original hot cyl. from the AGA?........Just been asked by an old M8 to advise on htg for his mum`s farmhouse.FIRST question I asked ...Do you want to keep the Rayburn :?: But then I`m not oftec. or corgi .or part P :LOL: Just a simple country plumber ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back