Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i'm planning on painting our spare bedroom but first I need to do some repairs to the walls. There are some areas where the plaster sounds hollow and has some hairline cracks. Whats the best thing to do here, widen the cracks and fill or knock away the hollow plaster? If its to knock out the plaster then whats the best way to fix it? I'm going to try and do it myself first. The plaster in question is old. Thanks. Phil

Sponsored Links
The hollow sounding plaster has lost its adhesion to the wall (blown). In my view you either remove and replace the suspect areas or clap on 1200 lining paper or (after sorting the bown areas ) skim the whole lot of it, if it is all looking old.

I agree with Paintmate that the plaster has blown. This should be removed and re-skimmed rather than just filling the cracks.

You will probably find that once you start knocking off the area will become bigger so be prepared to skim the whole wall for the best result.

Apply PVA to the surface (read instructions for dilution ratio, usually 5 water:1 PVA) before plastering to ensure it doesn't blow again. If you've never plastered before be patient as it can be tricky. When it is just setting, flick with clean water and 'polish' with the trowel in long sweeping motions.

Always remember, "If you play with it too much, it will drop off!"

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back