Advice on a cctv dvr please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two outdoor colour cams and I require a dvr.
The cams are Vistas they came out of supermarket and they give a very good pic. on the monitor.
Can someone suggest a good dvr that will be suitable and trouble free and a source of supply.
Is it possible to monitor the unit via mobile phone or is that very exspencive.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Vista cameras are not bad really they are commercial type and usually 12 volt dc. If this is the case then a standard 12 volt dc electronic in line power supply rated at about 4 amps will suffice. You can get them on line or from maplins who have a range of power supplies.

as for the DVR, the latest ones use h264 as the copression system and are very good quality. a simple 4 channel hard drive recorder with a usb back up port would be good enough for a house. most are usually internet connectable with an ethernet port on the back. most however do not link to a telephone. You will find that this feature is not yet reliable and is just a frustrating gimmic unless you have really good 3g on your phone. most people are happy being able to view the footage on a pc or laptop where the screen is worth looking at becuse of the size - cant see a thing on a small phone screen really!

look for an EZ4 or something similar on the internet. as for what type - there are many decent dvrs without badges they are all imported with different names so ti doesnt really matter. dont be looking for sony etc this doesnt mean a thing in the world of dvrs. expect to pay about £200 for a decent one to record four cameras with a 500gig hard drive and internet capability. stear away from diy systems plug and play stuff is simply rubbish!!

you have two ways to do this,

one is to use a pc based dvr and network or the other is stand alone dvr connected to internet, as with remote viewing on mobile you need a dvr with 3g suport and normally its too slow and too small the dvr boxes i sell have internet explorer suport and you will have to open port on router to view remotely, also you will need static ip dynamic dns service.
DVR 4 channel + 160gb Hard drive = £196
Power supply with lead 3.5a = £23

I can also set up and install if you require or set up networking by visiting or remotely if you are far away.

pm me for more info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back