cctv dvr advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have recently bought 4 cameras, cables and a DVR from a well-known online company, but am not happy with the DVR as it doesn't do all they said it should - so thinking of returning it and getting a different model - am happy with the cameras etc, so just the DVR I think to replace

Just wanted some advice/recommendations please

This is what I wanted to achieve

1) Ability to access the DVR from ipad/iphone when out - current DVR uses kweye and does not work well at all, sometimes connecting, other times not, and even when connected it often doesn't show any image

2) automatic usb or network backup in some form - so for example if someone broke in and also nicked the DVR I would have some data on network or a usb memory stick hidden away somewhere

3) software that works with Windows 7!!! this one came with NVMS 4.5 which won't work at all in Windows 7, and even when I tried it under XP looks rubbish and really outdated - could see no sign of who made it and couldn't find it on google to see if they had a newer version

Is this possible? or would I be better getting a DVR PCI card for computer and leave that running all the while doing the cctv instead

Anything I have missed please ask and thanks in advance for reading/helping

Sponsored Links
You'd be bettter spending the right amount of money instead of penny pinching and expecting cheap toot to do a proper job.

You'd be bettter spending the right amount of money instead of penny pinching and expecting cheap toot to do a proper job.
well i thought £500 approx for a 4 channel DVR, 4 cameras and cables was okay - not exactly the cheapest around

Perhaps some advice on what to go for - rather than assuming I am penny pinching when my message didn't even say that!

well i thought £500 approx for a 4 channel DVR, 4 cameras and cables was okay - not exactly the cheapest around

Perhaps some advice on what to go for - rather than assuming I am penny pinching when my message didn't even say that!
4 way kits are sold by the skipful. Cheap toot packaged to meet the demands of the diy'er.

As for advice, even a cursory look within this forum would give you all the info you need.

Sponsored Links
alumni - thanks for the helpful responses! NOT - thought the point of this forum was to be able to ask for advice etc and get friendly expert replies, not some idiot trying to score points

MOD - please remove my message and I will close account, and in future use a forum that has helpful people not some idiot

alumni - thanks for the helpful responses! NOT - thought the point of this forum was to be able to ask for advice etc and get friendly expert replies, not some idiot trying to score points

MOD - please remove my message and I will close account, and in future use a forum that has helpful people not some idiot

unfortunately, we do have a few people that try & score points, but on the whole there are a lot of helpful people on here.

alumni - thanks for the helpful responses! NOT - thought the point of this forum was to be able to ask for advice etc and get friendly expert replies,
The advice you were given here is from people who know what is good practice. Obviously this is likely to be different advice to the "advice" you will get from people who are only interested in selling their product. As you have aready found information from sales people can be in-accurate and even mis-leading but it did get you to buy one of their systems.

unfortunately, we do have a few people that try & score points, but on the whole there are a lot of helpful people on here.
thanks Diyisfun - lets hope one of them replies with some answers then , rather than just useless comments from alumni

Well the DVR should have cost at least 80% of your outlay for something approaching your needs.

okay I get the point, I should of spent more - so as I said I am returning this one - so perhaps some suggestions as to a good brand / model of DVR for me to buy to replace it

Well I gave it a go for you, but the TRADE sites wont allow links here :D

cctv direct have something clsoe which would beat your item hands down, http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk/product...on-%2b-Web-%2b-Iphone-%2b-Mobile-Viewing.html

And its reduced, so have a look.

PS alumni was correct.
Thanks will take a look

Yes I know he may be right, but I didn't ask for sarcastic comments, just some assistance so I don't make the same mistake twice

For info the device I currently have is this one - http://www.spycameracctv.com/spycam...work-compatible-4-channel-audio-500gb-hdd-vga

And it does not do what you were asking does it.
I can see that from a quick look at the specs.

I spend as much on some cameras, and a lot more when needed. What did you expect for that price?

As for sarcastic, after giving the same advice time and time again it gets a little tedious. There is a search facility :D

You could try Dynamic or System Q if you can get trade status. Then your starting to see very decent kit. As you have found the
cheap alternative isnt really worth the postage and packaging.

no it does not - but I did ask the company in advance and give list of my requirements - so was going on there expertise! or lack of it! - and that was what they recommended

As I said didn't really know what to look for and that company was supposed to be good - I know now

Surely the point of a forum is for people to ask questions - if you get bored answering them, then perhaps don't bother visiting the forum

Thanks - will also take a look at them

It gets tedious saying "I told you So" , thats all.

By all means check the other links out, you may not be able to purchase from them though.

Your welcome.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back