Need some CCTV/DVR/PC advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i'm hoping someone can help me with choosing the right options for a cctv system. I want to setup a two-camera (one front one back of house) and be able to record it at night. I have three options:-

1. Get a DVR card and use my pc to record.
2. Get a usb 2.0 DVR for my laptop and use that to record.
3. Get a normal DVR.

Now I like the first option, but i've heard running a PC every night can be very expensive, whereas a laptop or DVR have much lower running costs, so can anyone confirm any costs of running a pc or maybe recommend an energy effecient way of a cctv setup?

Lastly what do you of a laptop as a DVR?

Sponsored Links
4. Use an IP CCTV camera with inbuilt memory card storage
5. Use an IP CCTV camera and FTP images to an online host

I would be inclined to go for the DVR option as it’s a bespoke unit designed to do the job, rather than a retrofit kit for a pc. It will also give you advantages such as 24 hour recording and it’s pretty much a fit and forget unit, unlike the capture cards on a PC.

Depending on where you look you can find a good DIY kit for between £300 - £600.

thank u guys.

@ OwainDIYer - the problem isn't choosing the cameras, but deciding a DVR option mate...also surely an inbuilt memory card storage would be way too small, considering i want the recording to be an least one night's worth?

@ Firesec - Thanks for that. Approximately what kind of watts does an average 4ch DVR take?

Sponsored Links
hi guys,

i'm hoping someone can help me with choosing the right options for a cctv system. I want to setup a two-camera (one front one back of house) and be able to record it at night. I have three options:-

1. Get a DVR card and use my pc to record.
2. Get a usb 2.0 DVR for my laptop and use that to record.
3. Get a normal DVR.

Now I like the first option, but i've heard running a PC every night can be very expensive, whereas a laptop or DVR have much lower running costs, so can anyone confirm any costs of running a pc or maybe recommend an energy effecient way of a cctv setup?

Lastly what do you of a laptop as a DVR?

As someone else has said - anything other than a DVR is realistically a waste of time and money. Although this will probably come to light after the event - i.e. when you've had some sort of break-in and need the images.

Cameras - for recording at night, you are likely to have to spend somewhere in the region of £500 for a single camera (something like a SamsungTechwin Nite Devil) & IR Illuminator. Those cameras with IR LEDs - I wouldn't even bother.

Also 2 cameras aren't really going to cut it - you will need one to get a general idea of what is going one plus at least 1 other for identification purposes - i.e. to get face shots for identification purposes.

I'd read some of the stuff on the following site - very good and should put camera stuff into perpective,

http://www.doktorjon.co.uk/system design/cone1.html

and http://www.doktorjon.co.uk/system design/systemdes1.html in general.

As for a DVR - J2000, MPEG4, H2.64 - record on alarm, motion detection, etc. the list goes one. Buying a crap DVR - there's a high probability of that. As for recording on motion detection on external cameras - forget that. Every time the light changes or a fly flies past - it'll set it off.

Unfortunately taking your list down to 1 from 3 - still leaves you tons of options - with every opportunity to waste money.

I would suggest you read DocktorJohn's website - sit back and have a think as to why you want one and what you want to achieve with it. Once you have that.

As for energy efficiency and CCTV - they don't really go together. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear - for CCTV performance is paramount, energy efficiency is at the bottom of the list.

As for a DVR - J2000, MPEG4, H2.64 - record on alarm, motion detection, etc. the list goes one. Buying a crap DVR - there's a high probability of that.

Thanks very much Dibsh. If i go for a DVR then which quality is the ideal one for me? i.e J2000? MPEG4? or H2.64?

As for a DVR - J2000, MPEG4, H2.64 - record on alarm, motion detection, etc. the list goes one. Buying a crap DVR - there's a high probability of that.

Thanks very much Dibsh. If i go for a DVR then which quality is the ideal one for me? i.e J2000? MPEG4? or H2.64?

Ask yourself the question - what do you want from CCTV system? What are you hoping to achieve with it?

Catch the neighbours dog dumping on your lawn? See grainy pictures of scum peering into your house or even breaking in, but the image is of no to good man or beast?

Or - get pictures of an evidential level - good enough for the Police to use?

In the 1st instance, before looking at DVR's cameras, etc. read - http://www.doktorjon.co.uk/system design/systemdes1.html - it's very informative and should help you answer the initial set of questions. Once you know why you want a system and what you want from it - then it's time to look at budgets\specs\etc.

Just a quick reference from one of the many books at hand in terms of setting up cameras for a purpose.

When setting up your equipment and carrying out surveillance under Home Office guidelines there is a need to fulfil the ‘Operational Requirement’. This is required for evidential purposes and relates
to the Monitoring, Detection, Recognition and Identification of the target on the monitor screen.

Monitor
The target size of a target for monitoring is generally 5% of the monitor screen. Ideal for monitoring human or vehicle traffic flows.

Detect
To obtain best results for electronic detection purposes the picture size
of the target should be no less than 10% of screen size.

Recognise
For recognition the picture size on the monitor should be no less than
50% of the screen. This value can be used to recognise a target such
as a ‘known person’.

Identify
It is recommended that the target size should be 120% of the
screen size. This means for example, the face and body of a grown
human to the knees but not the full height inclusive of legs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back