Home CCTV Advice

Why does every question on here have to result in a debate of whether or not the intentions of the OP are a good idea?
I'm not sure that asking that question is such a good idea. What does anyone else think?

Sponsored Links
Beezer. We are in discussions with the CPO as out local police force as they do a scheme were if you have a forced entry then they come and upgrade your door/window security for free. For me this will mean 8 sets of the new stronger door handles, 8 snap-off security locks, 12 sash jammers for the 3 sets of french windows, additional locks to the downstairs windows etc. All for free! :LOL: According to the literature our area has one of the lowest re-offence rates for domestic breakins!

I also raised the question re CCTV. He categorically stated that if I see something on the cameras I should call 999 and it will be dealt with as an emergency call out. He did say that call outs for house alarms would only be dealt with as an emergency if the alarm if registered with one of the monitoring companies, which is fair enough.

I am fully aware that the police do not sit in the police station drinking coffee and eating donuts waiting for your call, £30k Volvo T5's are for that! :LOL: :LOL:

Robert

If you have such an offer & if it will be done then I'd be breaking into my own home :D

Sponsored Links
nice idea wont work.

how ever if they do break in and you get the pictures of who, and vehicle the police will love you.

oh, and did you know if your cameras look out into the public they have to be registered
Not true. It's a domestic so fact they happen to overlook the public area is no problem. But registered with who?
Commercial property that would require compliance with DPA.

I also pointed out that any cctv camera that views the public has to be registered.(check the data protection act for more info)
Interestingly, I've checked the DPA, and discovered that the "pitfall" you "pointed out" is complete nonsense.

so if you want to have a go at some one, have a go at me.
OK then...

The above mistake is just one more golden breezer nugget from the value-less mine of misinformation into which you've placed sink shafts all over this web site.

cameras looking at the public have to be registered, but its a bit like partP you should do it, its there, but no one really does anything about it (alos depends who it is "investigating"

cameras looking at the public have to be registered, but its a bit like partP you should do it, its there, but no one really does anything about it (alos depends who it is "investigating"
Looking solely at the public, then yes. But the OP was referring to his house. So, assuming he his setting the cameras up to look at his property, even though they may overlook the public areas and/or neighbours (within reason - no windows etc), then no, he does not have to register.

Gents, while your arguing the toss over "if a camera that covers a public area that the public may pass in front of is allowed to record what it sees" perhaps one of you would like to point to a government website that backs up your allegations.

It would put a stop to the bickering. ;)

Let's stop all this bickering once and for all.

The direct quote below is taken directly from an Information Commissioner’s Office booklet >

Data Protection
Code of Practice
Revised Edition 2008

Item 3 - What the Code covers - page 5

" ......... The use of cameras for limited household purposes is exempt from the DPA. This applies where an individual uses CCTV to protect their home from burglary, even if the camera overlooks the street or other areas near their home. Images captured for recreational purposes, such as with a mobile phone, digital camera or camcorder, are also exempt......... "

Stop spoiling the fun. I'm waiting for Beezer to state with whom the camera has to be registered. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back