Home CCTV Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking at installing a CCTV system at home. I am looking at a 4ch DVR DVR Link bu am getting differing information depending who I talk to. A couple of suppliers say it can email you if motion is detected, other say not. The tech sheet says it can but another supplier this is not true and the company use a generic sheet for all of their DVR's and only the 8-16CH can email.

Has anyone know about these DVR's and do they email? If not does anyone know of a 4Ch DVR that has web view and email notification if motion is detected.

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
I would ask your self why do you want it to email you if it sees something?

suppose it does, what are you going to do about it?

He could phone next door and ask them to take a peek, but i believe he'll get that piised of with that mant falsies

just get it recorded in you feel vulnerable.

Hi

I want it to email as I work at a PC during the day and have a mobile pc with email. We have had 2 attempted break-ins recently which would have triggered the cameras, sent an email at which point I can login in to see if it is a false alarm and then do something about it if not, ring police/neighbour.

On the last attempted break in they must have been trying for ages as they had carefully removed the hinges to the french windows, removed the locks and removed the beading and they only stopped when they finally managed to open the door slightly and the alarms went off. In this instance I would get to know someone was there as soon as they arrived and I could have notified someone.

We live in a house that is set away from the road and all sides are not overlooked by another house. This means they can do whatever they want until the alarm is activated. I am trying to stop them getting to this stage if possible.

Robert

Sponsored Links
nice idea wont work.

you phone a neigbour to say some one is atempting to break into your house, do you really suppose they will go round? no really.

similar with the police, even if you say some one is atempting to break in why should they go?

sorry, thats how life is.

how ever if they do break in and you get the pictures of who, and vehicle the police will love you.

oh, and did you know if your cameras look out into the public they have to be registered

You also have to take in the fact that the neighbours cat or a stray pigeon even a spider crossing the lens will also trigger the motion detector.
I use a 4 channel system which is networkable but it triggers and records at least 30 times an hour even in low sensitivity.

Why does every question on here have to result in a debate of whether or not the intentions of the OP are a good idea?

Duxster, based on the product you linked to I think it would be fair to assume the product does support E-mailing of captured stills. The header of the specification chart clearly says AVC760, which is the model of the DVR you're looking at, and E-mail + FTP are listed as features. If you purchase it and find that it doesn't support these then you'd be well within your rights to return and receive a full refund anyway.

Why does every question on here have to result in a debate of whether or not the intentions of the OP are a good idea?

Duxster, based on the product you linked to I think it would be fair to assume the product does support E-mailing of captured stills. The header of the specification chart clearly says AVC760, which is the model of the DVR you're looking at, and E-mail + FTP are listed as features. If you purchase it and find that it doesn't support these then you'd be well within your rights to return and receive a full refund anyway.

Sorry, but I thought that the whole idea of a forum like this was to offer help and advise.
That was only my second post but if that's the sort of response I will get then it will probably be my last.

Why does every question on here have to result in a debate of whether or not the intentions of the OP are a good idea?..................

That is simply not true.

In this case I was curious to know why the OP wanted it, so i asked, do YOU have a problem with that?

When i received a reply i decided it would be benneficial to point out the "pit falls" of his idea

Put your self in the OPs neighbours shoes, you get a call saying it looks like some one / several some ones are trying to break in to my place, would you go, no, really would you go?

As phawly pointed out, almost anything can set off cctv auto record, it worlks by seeing something move (i am not sure on the technical side of exactly how it works, it just does) it could be set off by a moving tree in high winds etc. You as the neigbour would get fed up going round for false calls, yes ok the OP would see the picture, but he would no doubt ask for you to go and look any way.

I also pointed out that any cctv camera that views the public has to be registered.(check the data protection act for more info)

Its also fair to point out to any one that asks about something the experiances of it, which phawley did.

Somepeople (nothing to do with the OP this time or phawley,) come here thinking that xyz bit of kit will be abovce their expectations / the limit of said kit That is why most of us (not all) want to find out why some one wants something

so if you want to have a go at some one, have a go at me.

phawley, it is the point, keep on posting.

Wow, didn't think a simple question could result in such comments!

Just to clarify I would not expect a neighbour to go around but they could contact the police and raise the alarm.

When you say the police would not be interested I would beg to differ on that point. The police we have spoken to have all said they they would respond immediately to a call of a breakin in progress and as the police station is less than a mile away the response times should be pretty good. I hope not to have to test it though! :confused: They are also giving me advice on the CCTV system and are coming back once installed to see how it works with a view providing further information to other people who have suffered breakins.

Anyway should be ordering the 4 camera system this week so we will see what happens.

'electronicsuk' a hear what you say about sending it back but I could do without the hassle!

Robert

Just to clarify I would not expect a neighbour to go around but they could contact the police and raise the alarm.

so could you, save bothering your neigbour

as the police station is less than a mile away the response times should be pretty good.

and where do you suppose they will be?

you have to look at reality, the police station could be next door (i know of a break in that was next door to a police station, the shop was emptied, police never noticed, but thats for another time) the police do not sit in the police station waiting for your call, they are out on the road doing what ever, they could be miles away when you call.

sorry but thats how life is

Unless your cctv system is registered and complies to what ever i think you will find they are not obliged to attend.(sorry caller there is a big fight in town, we will go when we can)

some alarm ARC's do monitor cctv and yes the police will atenend if called, but thats because its a monitored cctv system installed to specific regs.

Best ask (if you have not already) The local CPO andaask him what will really happen. The CPO is in your local police station

so could you, save bothering your neigbour

as the police station is less than a mile away the response times should be pretty good.

and where do you suppose they will be?

you have to look at reality, the police station could be next door (i know of a break in that was next door to a police station, the shop was emptied, police never noticed, but thats for another time) the police do not sit in the police station waiting for your call, they are out on the road doing what ever, they could be miles away when you call.

sorry but thats how life is

Unless your cctv system is registered and complies to what ever i think you will find they are not obliged to attend.(sorry caller there is a big fight in town, we will go when we can)

some alarm ARC's do monitor cctv and yes the police will atenend if called, but thats because its a monitored cctv system installed to specific regs.

Best ask (if you have not already) The local CPO andaask him what will really happen. The CPO is in your local police station

QFA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back