Two DVRs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I'm looking at getting a new DVR which will allow me to do remote viewing on a PC or my mobile phone.

I currently have a perfectly good 4 channel DVR, but it does not have a network facitity.

I would like to add a couple more cameras at some point.

I was thinking if I just buy a new 4 channel DVR, I could connect the video output from the original DVR into one of the camera inputs of the new DVR.

This would allow remote viewing of seven cameras (albeit in quad screen mode for cameras 4 to 8 ) but, still recording in full screen mode for all 7 cameras.

Is this likely to work, or would there be some issues with impedences or something?

Sponsored Links
Cant see their being a problem, the video out if a normal composite video out is what the other dvr would expect to see from a camera so it should be fine.

Thats what I wanted to hear :D

I don't suppose you have any experience of the alien DVRs on sale from SystemQ?

They are fairly new to the market, so I've not had a go yet.

From reading the specs and installers manual it looks like a pretty good piece of kit.

Sponsored Links
Thats what I wanted to hear :D

I don't suppose you have any experience of the alien DVRs on sale from SystemQ?

They are fairly new to the market, so I've not had a go yet.

From reading the specs and installers manual it looks like a pretty good piece of kit.
Trade only policy, but have a good showroom and demo all their kit. Not too far from your neck of the woods . Might be worth a trip to Chesterfield.

Well I'm prepared to be the DIYnot guinea pig.

I've ordered the 640GB 4 channel model, so I'll let you know in the next few days if it is any good or not :D

Quite a few days :LOL:

I'm really impressed with it.

Mine is running four 520 line cameras, and it records for almost a month continuously.

The frame rate is fantastic, and can be slowed right down to 1/4 speed.

I have managed to hook it up to my home computer network, and although a little slow to respond, it is OK. I have not got it online yet as I don't have a fixed IP address, and my phone is not compatible with the DVR viewing software. (I have an iPhone 3G)

The menus / playback is a little cumbersome to use, but for the amount of time I actually need to watch stuff back, it is not really a problem.

So far I have not witnessed any major crimes, but has seen a bloke trying (and failing) a scam in our shop by claiming he was short changed. It has kept an eye on the ****** sniffing around the back of the property, and settled an insurance claim in court following an car Vs van accident. :D

You can get yourself a free dyndns (or equiv) account, and then have a domain name that will constantly point to your ever changing dynamic IP (you need to enter the details of the dyndns account into your router. most routers have this ability).

A static IP is better, but you can use a dynamic IP with a dyndns account for simple domestic jobs like this.

Obviously need to sort the port forwarding too (under firewall in many routers).

I don't really understand all that stuff. :LOL:

I'll have to have an ask in the computers forum when I hhave a bit more time. ;)

A dometic router, but still offers dyndns support.

Do you want some instructions?

What port does your DVR use? Do you view the DVR through a web browser, or do you use software? If through a browser, what IP do you type in to view? http://192.168.0.x:mad:x) The :mad:x is the port - if you do not type the :mad:x and it still works, it will be defaulted to HTTP port 80.

First thing to do - get a dyndns account.

Goto www.dyndns.com.
Click on 'create an account', top right.
Choose a username and password (these are only so you can log in and maintain in the future is required).
You also need to give an email - make sure it is a valid one as you need to verify the acount through a link in the email.
Once registered, log into your account.
Click on 'add host service'.
Choose a host name that will be used to access your DVR (you choose the first word, and then use the drop down list to choose the final part of the URL, most people use the ending dyndns.org as this is easy to remember).
Click the auto fill link to add your current IP - The router will update this as required later on when we setup the router.
Click 'add to card', and then click 'next'. There is no charges due for this free service, and no payment details will be taken.
Click 'activate services'.
Your DYNDNS account is no up and working.

Going to http://your new dyndns URL will now point to your home router. The router will be blocking ports, so nothing will yet work. The next time the router is rebooted or the line sync drops, the router will now need to update the IP with your dyndns account. This is the next thing to setup in your router.

You can PM me if you would prefer help in private!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back