Advice on broken plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

As I was taking out a door frame I accidentally pulled at the plasterboard (which was attached to the door frame with adhesive?!) and it’s broken in two fairly large sections either side above the door aperture.

Any advice on what I should do please? Is this something I can repair myself?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8F3C3198-13CB-41A7-86C5-53797504F91E.jpeg
    8F3C3198-13CB-41A7-86C5-53797504F91E.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 49
  • E174CD09-786B-4718-AC73-93BC52FDB62E.jpeg
    E174CD09-786B-4718-AC73-93BC52FDB62E.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Cut the damage out. Then put in place a new piece. Put a larger piece behind both and glue them together. You could use screws. Use wood battens instead of the back piece is also possible.

For small damage, cut damage out, stick on / fix on a back piece and fill the cut out.

What are you planning on doing having removed the door frame?
The main issue with the board is to ensure that it is stable and secure. As above, add battens etc internally and secure with screws. Remove all loose bits of skim coat and simply re-finish with filler. Be sure to make it fairly thin so as to feather it out. Use a wide float. Then repaint as you would normally with new plaster ie mist coat and then final coats.

Sponsored Links
There’s a joiner coming next week to fit a new frame and door.

Daft question, I know, but what are the battens attached to? ‍♂️

Am I right in thinking the batten is secured to the concrete block behind? To the block itself or the joint? And are the battens standard size or would I need to measure. Sorry for the daft questions! I’m a complete novice at this.

Am I right in thinking the batten is secured to the concrete block behind? To the block itself or the joint? And are the battens standard size or would I need to measure. Sorry for the daft questions! I’m a complete novice at this.
It's a bit hard to see from the pics but, I'd have a look up inside the hole and see what you've got. It may be that the reason that the board has moved (the mesh shows the original joint) is that the edges of the two boards weren't supported when it was constructed. Bear this in mind when / if you end up cutting stuff out and replacing.
Sounds like you may be out of your depth.
You can always ask the joiner when he comes and has a look.

I’ve had a look and theres nothing supporting the plasterboard. Certainly no battens. There are a few dabs of adhesive fixing it to the breeze blocks behind and a few inch gap between the wall and the board.

The top of the door frame was also attached to the plasterboard with a couple of dabs of adhesive which is why it got damaged as I pulled away the frame.

I’ll ask the joiner what’s best to do. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back