Sealing up internal doorway?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I hope this is in the right forum......

I am removing a fairly new stud wall that divides our living and dining room. Because of this we want to seal up one of the doorways, at the living room end.

My doorway walls are brick and so are quite deep as you would expect. My plan is to, basically, remove all framework etc around the door and fix the door (minus handles etc obviously) within the doorway void. On either side of the door I want a kind of studwork frame fitted and plasterboarded either side.

The reason I want to keep the door in the middle of this studwork/plasterboard is incase we ever choose to open the doorway up again - it will be there ready.

Can anybody see any problems that I might have? My main concern is that as the plasterboard contracts etc and that it will show and I will have a big rectangular crack in the middle of my wall!

30mpz0p.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its not that wonderful but considering it matches the other 6 in the house I want to keep it if possible!

Sponsored Links
Yes I had considered this but have decided on the method I have mentioned above so am looking for advice along these lines. Thanks.

Well it's likely that the door will be flush to the wall or near flush and restrict what you can do.
So the wall may need to be altered to allow the door to stay, have you thought along the lines of battening out the whole wall and plasterboarding?

Door will require removal for a flush finish, bung it in the loft is precious. ;)

Thanks for replies. Its a good solid door but had previously been sealed up in the wall, hence its state at the moment and the fact it has paint scraped off etc.

Once I've got the doorframe and woodwork off completely I will be able to measure the thickness of the wall and see if its possible.

Will post update when I've done so, wont be for a little while though. Still busy in the loft!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back