Doorways in studwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adding a new doorway to an existing bathroom, and moving another doorway to what will effectively be the other end of a very short corridor. I think I'm only going to do the studwork, and will get the linings and plaster(boards) done by professionals. I'd like a bit of help in getting the studwork door openings the right size...

Width-wise, I think I need door width + 2 * 3mm clearance + 2 * 27mm lining thickness + 2* 5mm waggle room/packing.

Height-wise, I think I need door height + 2 * 3mm clearance + 1 * 27m lining thickness + threshold strip depth ( + for the bathroom a bit more for ventilation).

How does that sound?

Are linings 'usually' 27mm thick? How much should I leave for ventilation under the bathroom door?

For further background, the corridor is exactly wide enough for a door with an 70mm architrave. The bathroom wall that is getting a new doorway is currently part conventional studwork, where the previous shower was; the part where the doorway is going was a plasterboard sandwich with a corrugated core, and two extra layers of plasterboard glued on the inside. I've already opened up the wall on the inside, so it is now just a single layer of plasterboard, part of which has no studwork.

Sponsored Links
Knew there was something I'd forgotten to mention...

The door that'll be going in the corridor is a normal size, so it is not too hard to buy a lining to fit. But the one going in the bathroom is narrower and I haven't found the right sized lining from any of the 'usual' outlets...

Both of them would ideally be 95mm wide...

Knew there was something I'd forgotten to mention...

The door that'll be going in the corridor is a normal size, so it is not too hard to buy a lining to fit. But the one going in the bathroom is narrower and I haven't found the right sized lining from any of the 'usual' outlets...

Both of them would ideally be 95mm wide...
Narrower than a 27" door?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back