Fitted wardrobe construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm aiming to construct a built-in wardrobe in one of my bedrooms and looking for any recommendations for how to go about it.

It will go into the corner of the room, and be part-width, so I'll need to construct a side wall.

It will be full-height, tall doors at the bottom into the main clothing rails, and smaller doors above into a storage space.

All the walls it will connect to are stud walls.

I can think of two main options -

1. Frame it out of studwork and plasterboard it. Timber door linings, architrave etc. The front 'wall' is almost non-existent as it is almost all door, probably just a stud on each side to screw the door lining into.

2. Build MDF carcasses for the sections, screw them together and into the existing walls. Probably put the whole thing on a plinth. I suppose in this construction, the doors would close onto the carcass using concealed/euro cabinet hinges.

I guess 2 looks more like a wardrobe and 1 looks more like part of the room. My concern with 2 is strength e.g. the clothes rails are screwed into MDF rather than deep into a stud, and the top shelf is made out of MDF which can sag.

Has anyone got an opinion on how they'd do this?

Sponsored Links
When I think of furniture panels I imagine those veneered chipboard type affairs that don't appear particularly sturdy. I had a quick search and found some solid pine ones but they seem relatively pricey considering I don't necessarily want a woodgrain finish on the side panel. Is this what you mean?

Sponsored Links
I didn't know anything like that existed, thanks I will take a look.

Yes 18mm melamine type boards are sturdy enough, smooth or patterned. It just takes more care to get a nice sharp cut edge.

I suppose it depends on whether you want the end to look like a wall or a wardrobe end.

also skills and tools available will decide your best option
pine boards can warp easily laminate board can chip easily
door lining tends to be over the top unless you plan on using a standard door [30mm+]and [leaf]hinges

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to carcass it out and fit an end-panel which I'll spray to match the rest of the woodwork in the room.

I don't have a table saw, so would be making do with a plunge track saw or the old fashioned way!

in the 80's i built in wardrobes into 2 different properties , 3 bedrooms & 4 bedroom properties.
I used plywood for panels , timber frame, usual softwood, furniture board for shelving , which included the doors on 2 wardrobes , which had overhead bridging units made - otherwise i used interior doors.
One a couple of wardrobes I used furniture board for panels.
Architrave around the doors, coving around ceiling and some wallpapered others painted.

I didn't have a power saw at the time all done by handsaws

I had helped my dad , when i was a kid, late 60's , for a while who for a few years fitted bedroom furniture for a company - so had a good idea on how the commercial available furniture fitted together

I guess 2 looks more like a wardrobe and 1 looks more like part of the room. My concern with 2 is strength e.g. the clothes rails are screwed into MDF rather than deep into a stud, and the top shelf is made out of MDF which can sag.
a bit of 2x1 from front to back , will support the shelf and also give a good fixing for the hanging rails - if needed centre hanging brackets to support the pole.

I have only recently - this year made a cupboard and doors out of MDF - corner of conservatory seems to work ok, BUT i dont think I would have made to doors out of MDF for a bedroom

Attachments

• 1 - 2 (1).jpeg
    1 - 2 (1).jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 1 - 1.jpeg
    1 - 1.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Hi all

I'm aiming to construct a built-in wardrobe in one of my bedrooms and looking for any recommendations for how to go about it.

It will go into the corner of the room, and be part-width, so I'll need to construct a side wall.

It will be full-height, tall doors at the bottom into the main clothing rails, and smaller doors above into a storage space.

All the walls it will connect to are stud walls.

I can think of two main options -

1. Frame it out of studwork and plasterboard it. Timber door linings, architrave etc. The front 'wall' is almost non-existent as it is almost all door, probably just a stud on each side to screw the door lining into.

2. Build MDF carcasses for the sections, screw them together and into the existing walls. Probably put the whole thing on a plinth. I suppose in this construction, the doors would close onto the carcass using concealed/euro cabinet hinges.

Has anyone got an opinion on how they'd do this?
Mdf doesn't waste space like a frame/plasterboard would.

make sure you use a coat hanger / any large shoulder cloths to check the internal distance from back of doors/frame to wall
Almost made that mistake once

a bit of 2x1 from front to back , will support the shelf and also give a good fixing for the hanging rails - if needed centre hanging brackets to support the pole.

Thanks for the tip!

make sure you use a coat hanger / any large shoulder cloths to check the internal distance from back of doors/frame to wall

Will definitely double check before I finalise anything! I intend to make them plenty deep enough, I am sick of flatpack wardrobes where the hanger barely lets the door close.

if your are a wee bit tight for depth for hanging clothes, put the hanging rail about 12-18mm off centre towards the back so the clothes on the hanger will lean on the wall more than push the door
also any items giving trouble at the shoulders you can reshape a wire coat hanger to narrow it or twist the hook to sit at an angle giving more room but restrict storage volume in that area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back