Door lining width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're at the stage on our loft that we need to start fitting the door linings before the plasterboard goes on. I had originally thought that the chippies were doing this as I was under the impression that this was a first fix item, but they treat it as second fix, and they are not doing any second fix items.

Wall make up is 95mm C16 studwork, so with 12.5mm plasterboard and 3mm skim each side, I am at 126mm width. Door linings seems to be 120mm or 132mm wide [finished size].

Presumably 132mm linings are the way to go, and the plasterer would make up this difference at doorways so the skim coat finished flush with the lining so the architrave can easily be planted on?

This is probably a non issue, but not having done this before, thought it best to check

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Buy 132mm casings and rip down to the required width after the plaster us dry.. If possible I prefer to make up an accurate plywood liner to go around the door opening, have the spread work to that (assuming he can- some plasterers are clueless), remove the liner when the plaster is dry and fit the finished lining then. Putting a door lining in before plasterwork is asking for the plasterer to cake the casing with plaster (a definite no-no with, say, oak casings - and the wey trades are notoriously messy characters). It is also going to put a lot of (unnecessary) moisture into the casing causing it to swell. It will shrink back, but if some poor chippy has already installed the doors by then, the gaps will be massive - and if any of the doors are fire doors you won't get certification if the gaps are too big (if they aren't fire doors then you'll just have big draughty gaps)

Personally, I don't trust plasterers to work to a door casing - trawl this forum and you'll find loads of questions about plaster sitting proud or the need to pack the gaps between the face of the plaster and the architrave. Not saying they are all like that, but there is a certain logic to what the chippies did

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut door lining to fit with.
Where I buy mine they open pack and cut to width saving me the time.

Ah ok thank you both. Good idea about the sacrificial lining

I've got some 18mm osb knocking about that I could rip down to approximate a lining. I'll check if my local timber yard can rip the lining down as well, I know they have a big cross cut saw.

Thankfully the plasterer that are using has done some work for us before, he was careful working round existing fixtures etc. So should be ok.

Sponsored Links
When I get lining cut I take the off cut from the top and fix to bottom of frame sides.
The off cut will have the sections cut out that will lock on sides. Top and bottom will be exactly the same width for fitting.
If that makes sense.

When I get lining cut I take the off cut from the top and fix to bottom of frame sides.
The off cut will have the sections cut out that will lock on sides. Top and bottom will be exactly the same width for fitting.
If that makes sense.

I like that idea!

As above, don't fix your finish lining before plastering.
Some plasterers are very accommodating and carry strips of osb/ply for such situations.
Don't forget that a lot of wooden doors are not perfectly straight, so if you've fixed the lining perfectly square and plumb, then the door will not fit nicely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back