Door Lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have purchased a ready made door lining kit which is too wide, I ordered a 132mm and it needs to be around 91mm

What's the best way to cut these down. I was thinking about using an electric plane and doing multiple passes.

Going to take a while, what's the preferred method here.

Secondly, i want to install this before plastering, how proud should i leave it on each side? I was thinking 3mm

I also guess that i need to seal it before installing it, what should i use for this?

Sponsored Links
The best way to do this is to rip it down with a circular saw to about 1mm oversize then plane it to dead size. Far faster and less likely to end up running out of square (which can happen with a power planer)

If you plastering by putting s finishing skim over plasterboard then leave 3mm either side. If it's traditional plastering onto masonry allow 5 to 6mm per side.

Prime before installing. I prefer an oil-based primer simply because they give better protection than water based products and they don't raise the grain like water based products

Save the 41mm you will cut off in case you need to stick it back on - plaster (bond and skim) is about 15mm thick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back