Advice on building raised veg beds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have created 8ft x 4 ft beds of timber to grow veg.
Any tips before I fill with soil, compost?
Should I line the bed? Should I feed before planting?
Any tips will be welcome
Cheers :?: :confused:

Sponsored Links
you can line around the edges of it to help moisture retention. Any organic matter is good to mix in with it. If you are planning to go ahead and use it straight away then i would err on the side of caution and use a green manure or a well rotted compost. Horse manure can cause poblems if its not well rotted and not all vegetables like it in the first season. Good luck

Hi

I would strongly advise using treated timber, any other will rot really fast. Also make sure the boards are supported every 50cms as the pressure of the soil is considerable. Overlap boards to give stronger joins and finally line the sides will at least mulch membrane (pond liner is best) to reduce soil and water loss. I would not line the bottom as you should be aiming to use the sub soil for deep rootted plants and worms need to travel down. Raised beds are really great fun and very practical but if not built properly they fall apart in a very short time. 'Bastard' trench the bed with manure or compost right at the bottom before filling.
I've built raised beds without a surround. simply mound up to the centre of the bed as a long ridge. This gives some benefits as you get a increased growing area per square foot of ground and really helps clay soil drainage in wet weather. In dry weather you can water along the top of the ridge and all benefit as it drains down the ridge to the outside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back