Advice on buying a ladder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please can someone give me some advice on buying a ladder.

I need to paint the stair well in my house and it is out of reach so I require a ladder.

I am unsure what to get? Should I get a 3 way combi ladder or a multi purpose ladder?

Please can someone advise me on what will be my best option as I do not want to waste money on a unsuitable ladder as I will require to use it for genral home diy and maintenance once stair well has been painted.

Sponsored Links
Having used ladders for years and different types, its up to you, but iv never liked them folding ones or the telesteps (slide each run up to extend with pins to lock them in) type, they just dont feel as solid, something like painting stair well, or general home maintenance id go with a normal 2.5m to 2.8m tripple, then you can split it and use just 1/3 for getting up stairs or use two and a plank, or use all 3 for painting windows or cleaning gutters providing your house isnt to high.
Also try to buy Trade (en 131) or Industrial standard, Industrial are heaviest but most solid and longer lasting, Avoid Diy grade/ B&Q tin foil ladders.

Having used ladders for years and different types, its up to you, but iv never liked them folding ones or the telesteps (slide each run up to extend with pins to lock them in) type, they just dont feel as solid, something like painting stair well, or general home maintenance id go with a normal 2.5m to 2.8m tripple, then you can split it and use just 1/3 for getting up stairs or use two and a plank, or use all 3 for painting windows or cleaning gutters providing your house isnt to high.
Also try to buy Trade (en 131) or Industrial standard, Industrial are heaviest but most solid and longer lasting, Avoid Diy grade/ B&Q tin foil ladders.

Hi rabu

can you recommend a supplier or make?

Regarding makes, Iv used a few, Youngman, Zarges, lyte, all good but prefer zarges. Just watch out if you get some of the cheaper ones as they often use square rungs which for long use can hurt feet and when climbing up and down your only resting on the "corner" rarther than a flat top like you are with "D" rungs. I normaly use ladderstore.com, This would do most your needs for average painting/ maintenance: http://www.ladderstore.com/ladders/...s-1/class-1-industrial-extension-ladders.html Have a look at "H1tp25" 9 rung, 2.5m closed- 6m fulled extended, -about 1.5m for having the ladder out at the right angle. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back