Advice on cavity closures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, please bear with me as this is my first post. I have searched the net and forums but can't seem to find the answer to my problem so any advice would be muchly appreciated, ok here goes....

I have recently stripped out my kitchen, removed a window, cut out an opening and fitted French doors. The construction of this single storey extension is brick block cavity (no insulation), flat roof joists sitting on external leaf but a pitched roof built on top of that (previous owner). I have taken down the ceiling only to find that the cavity walls don't have any cavity top closures, is this a problem?

My plan is to retro fit a cold deck ceiling (insulation, 50mm gap, VP, PB etc) and I was going to extend the insulation over the cavity gap to the edge of the fascia board. Is this a good idea or should I be looking to purchase cavity top closures?

Any advice please?

Sponsored Links
My plan is to retro fit a cold deck ceiling (insulation, 50mm gap, VP, PB etc) and I was going to extend the insulation over the cavity gap to the edge of the fascia board. Is this a good idea or should I be looking to purchase cavity top closures?

Any advice please?
Your idea regards the insulation is sound as long as you consider venting. How are you going to (cross-flow) vent the roof?

The images below show how we continued the insulation right up to the underside of the (warm) deck.

Hi thanks for your response, I was going to add vents to the fascia to enable the air flow. The following images are of the cavity, so if I run the insulation over the top of the cavity this will be fine? Should I also be installing cavity closures as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back