advice on chosing a new boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
I am looking at spending around 600 to purchase a HE combi boiler any advice on a good quality boiler for around this price
cheers and merry xmas and happy new year to all.
:confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
Best advise id give you is to spen at lead another £200 on top of your £600. i wont go into personal favourite appliances as it will open up a can of worms as we al have differing opinions.

I wont gve too much away but...

Avoid Italian
Avoid French

HarrogateGas said:
Best advise id give you is to spen at lead another £200 on top of your £600. i wont go into personal favourite appliances as it will open up a can of worms as we al have differing opinions.

Avoid Italian
Avoid French

How does he know where the boilers are made :confused:
i disagree about avoiding Italian boilers as they are very good ;)
all baxi and potterton combis are now made in Italy :D and they are the best ;)

gazthepottertonengineer said:
HarrogateGas said:

Avoid Italian
Avoid French

Ill call you then next time i get a leaking Baxi 130HE!!! :D

Ferolli kinda sounds italian........Ariston and Off are italian (common knowledge i hope)

Seeing as were naming brands........

Id go for a Vaillant or a Worcester Bosch, or depending on size of property a Keston.

Sponsored Links
HarrogateGas said:
gazthepottertonengineer said:
HarrogateGas said:

Avoid Italian
Avoid French

Ill call you then next time i get a leaking Baxi 130HE!!! :D

Ferolli kinda sounds italian........Ariston and Off are italian (common knowledge i hope)

Seeing as were naming brands........

Id go for a Vaillant or a Worcester Bosch, or depending on size of property a Keston.

My point was that do Baxi or Potterton sound Italian :confused:

oh and worcesters never leak right :eek:

we all have our prefences and its normally the ones that we are more familiar with :LOL: but im a great believer in you pay for what you get so i would also go for another £200 on his £600 as well ;)

8) I`m like the others and say spend at least another 200, however I will venture an opinion about choice.
DO NOT buy a glowworm.
Personally I like the worcester28i junior we have put in about 300 of them this year with very few problems, they also have a good guarantee.

Had any problems with low flow hot water demand being satisfied? See my question on ARGI workbench if you can contribute please?

To the poster,

buy cheap buy twice.

Cheap boilers are very lucrative to manufacturers, they make a fortune selling you spares, and very lucrative to installers, they make a fortune out of you, and very lucrative to us service repair guys, they keep us in work.

Only real looser is the user.

I sometimes have occasion to install a boiiler which I own, I always fit a boiler which costs me £950 and I put in a magnaclean and a combimate, and I powerflush the system. The job is for me, I don't want any problems.

If you gave me a boiler that cost £600, and I needed one, I'd break it for spares and buy a £950 one on the credit card.

that is not to say I have onbe of these fantastic boilers at home, I have an Ideal Mehico. It's a very brave man who takes out his Ideal Mehico. I'm not stupid.

Nobody has mentioned Vaillant boilers!

I have replaced a lot of their diverters and now the APSs in the same units are failing.

Does anyone know where the internal parts are made? Or even where the boilers are assembled now?

Tony

252457 dv in the turbomaxes and some ecomaxes (they apparently changed at some version number which isn't obvious) is made by our old friends Giannoni, apparently. Saw it in a catalogue somewhere.

Went to a Saunier Duval Theliaclassic 30E (I think) with a leak from diverter cartridge - the seal by the actuator was pouring water out. Gland crimped in so inaccessible. Boiler 18 months old. SD don't have the part until about 10th Jan. HRPC have ONE of the whole water section, couldn't get it until after xmas. Owner has been paying £15 or so a month for "breakdown cover" to electricity provider, who just sent a YP emergency plumber who just looked and said they couldn't get the part.

How similar the plastic bottom ends of glowworms and vaillants actually are I'm not sure. This one had plenty of deposits of crud on the sliding shafts, which appeared to have worn the gland. Greased up it leaked less, so they're going to use the boiler just to run a bath, by which time the pressure will have dropped...! Boiler is outside - by the bins......

Nightmare.

I'm going to a 3 year old Europa with leak when hot water drawn. Great, just what I wanted a sloppy dv to sort out.

Oh well it's work I suppose, but I do wish boilers were better made.

Neither of the above problems are the boiler makers fault.

They result from a failure to treat the system water properly and the blame lies squarely on the cut price installer with a little help from the owner who chose him!

Tony

If you say so Tony.

The particular Europa turned out to be the dreaded Boxer again.

Leak when runninjg hot water turned out to be connection to dhw side of crossflow heaqt ex. Mind you every joint in the thing has been oozing a little.

If you gave me a Boxer and I needed a boiler I would break it for spares and buy a quality boiler on credit card.

Thank you all for your suggestions i think i will throw a bit more cash in.
the house is a three bed semi.
cheers
chris.

Neither of the above problems are the boiler makers fault.

They result from a failure to treat the system water properly

I disagree. As said in another thread , Fernox claim only 80% cleaning by powerflushing. Real systems do have some muck in them. Designs should take account of it. A shaft sliding through a gland will wear the gland, whereas a diaphragm won't. I would expect a diaphragm made out of decent material (which excludes all diaphragms I've seen in boilers!) to outlast the boiler.

Why nobody carries the spares for this SD I don't know, but a result of having a slightly unusual boiler is that these good folk are without H & HW for a long time. It's easy to pick on a common make and criticise it, but at least it would be easier to get fixed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back