1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on cracked rendering

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by nicknoal, 24 Oct 2021.

1. nicknoal

nicknoal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I’m wondering if I could get some advice on the best course of action for some external rendering that appears to be deteriorating.

It covers the entire rear of a 3 bedroom terraced house and as can be seen from the photos below, has started to crack in a number of places.

However the majority of the rendering seems to be ok and I’m wondering if it’s a shame to remove all of it when it’s only deteriorating in certain areas.

Can this be repaired? Or am I best just removing it all completely and replacing?

What about removing and repointing? Would this be a good idea or should it be avoided?

Many thanks

E4FA573B-947D-404D-AEDB-A820A1776127.png 67D4F35E-B8A6-4D76-9CD8-DF12F73E6A25.png 4264CC54-D4D1-463E-BA68-1D00D3C10F46.png 2E3231DF-CD6E-4BA5-865F-D1DA93687392.png 60B4C4B0-2E0B-4EAA-B0D4-A7CFC21BE8AA.png 8943C1AB-78E6-4226-8F71-958663AB316E.png

2. Sponsored Links
  3. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cracked rendering is difficult to repair.

Ideally you'd break it all off and start again.

For small cracks you could dig out and fill.

But some of your cracks look like the render has blown from the wall and needs to be removed from the wall and then re rendered

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tell80

tell80

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    for me i'd take itall off including replacing
    all bellcasts and the rusting corner bead with plastic beads and bellcasts.
    If possibledoing the samework at the same time with the left hand neighbour would be best for you boht.

Close examination of the side wall might show you more cracks and blown render.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2021
  5. nicknoal

nicknoal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys, I haven’t a clue about any of this so wasn’t sure if it could be repaired.

Knock it all off and start again it is then

What’s the typical life span of rendering? how long can I expect a properly rendered Job to last for before it needs doing again?

6. Godwasaplasterer

Godwasaplasterer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    totally depends who you get to do it.
    You’ll need to employ someone who knows what they’re doing . You should get 50 years+ from traditional render mixed and applied correctly.
    Your existing render looks fairly recent actually.

7. nicknoal

nicknoal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    yes that’s why I was unsure over whether it could be repaired because it doesn’t look too old albeit has definitely blown in certain spots

8. Sponsored Links