Advice on directing water into gutter via lead / reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been quoted £260 to fix this problem. Water from the valley is missing the gutter and damaging the harling. In my non expert opinion it looks like the existing lead could be bent up to create a better funnel to direct the water. The roofer said he had to buy extra lead because it only comes in large rolls which made it more expensive. Checking on Wickes it seems a roll of lead is about £40. Its been really hard to find a reliable roofer in our area, many companies don't seem interested in small jobs like this.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
So what's your actual question? He could get up there and it takes a little longer. 260 is a fair price as long as the job gets done and it cures the problem then go for it.

Nothing to do with lead into gutter! the rainwater is simply spilling over the bottom of the verge...cutting a check out of the bottom of the slates prevents overspill like that.

Its an easy fix and not any more than a couple of hours work...no lead required.

The gutter looks fine, undercloak not required and there is no barge.

To clear up any confusion.

Barge boards are installed to the verges of roofs to cover the outriggers or ladder setts, in this case there is none of the above but a stone plynth instead.

Scottish roofs for the most part are constructed using sarking boards to which the slates are nailed directly on to.

A wet verge is constructed by installing an undercloak between the slate and beneath the tile battens and blocked out with mortar..... this is a Scottish roof so does not require an undercloak but an oversail of approx 75mm.

The verge slates on this type of roof are checked out at the bottom to divert the rainwater back into the roof terminating in the gutter.

The rainwater is running down the plynth from the roof and nothing to do with the leadwork.

This ree is a common and traditional method of slating roofs north of the border...the internet is full of examples.

Apology accepted. :cool:

Sponsored Links
On a slated verge cutting the bottom corner off (around 25mm at 45degrees) right side for right verge helps prevent the rainwater dripping over the edge diverting it back onto the next slate and so on.

Ill see if i can find any data.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for not coming back sooner, life happens.

2 questions.

1. Can I easily fix this myself?

2. Is £260 a reasonable amount for this repair/ modification?

Thanks,

Ian

I would not be getting the roofer who wants to buy and install more lead as that will not rectify the problem.

Where in Edinburgh are you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back