Lead gutter repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lead gutter which seems to be leaking from one of it's joints. A roofer has quoted £120 to repair. He says he will slip a replacement piece of lead where the damage is and seal with lead sealant. Will this work? The reason I ask is because online research suggests the replacement piece should be welded on?

Also to the rear of the house I have a wet patch on the wall. It starts at the roof at about 50cm wide and thins as it goes down..it probably runs down 1-1.5 meters down. The roofer had a visual look from ground level and said that part of the roof needs re-felting as the water is getting in to the cavity from there. His lack of investigation worries. How likely is it that this is the cause? can it be diagnosed from ground level?

Sponsored Links
If you posted photographs of your two areas of concern it would help? Zoom close ups and whole elevation shots.

Depending on the age and type of lead gutter or a lead lining inside a wood gutter different solutions might be available?

Is any damp visible inside the house loft or rooms below. Or a damp smell?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back