Advice on floor tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to tile a kitchen floor myself and have recently ripped up the original floor tiles. I noticed that at the entrance to my living room the tiles were sitting on a good inch of adhesive in order for them to meet the level of the living room and also the bottom of the doors in that area.

Presumably the tiler had worked up to this level by adding more adhesive in order to avoid a step. My question is should I do the same? Bear in mind that where the elevation was needed the tiler used a dot an dab style with inch an a half dot on the tile underside.

I'm confused about to tackle meeting up with another room which is at a different level.

Sponsored Links
Here is a floor plan of the room to be tiled. Door A is an under stairs cupboard, the door sits approx 2 inches above the untiled floor. Door B leads to the living room and sits approx 2 inches off the floor - the gap is filed by carpet in the living room.

My question is do i have to close the gap under door A by raising the tiles up - as i mentioned this is how it was done before but the tiles were on at least an inch of thinset which had been applied dot and dab style.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back