Advice on getting eletrics to garden office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right place.

Currently we live in a dormer bungalow and the electric supply comes into the house under the stairs at the front. I want to put power to a garden office I am building at the end of the 110ft garden.

We have a garage which has a 6mm SWA fitted into it from the house. When the house was being renovated I had the electrician run a feed up through the attic and out the wall at the back of the house nearest the garage. This meant I just had to run some SWA down the wall into a trench (and 10ft) into the garage. This option is not available now as the route has all been closed up. So I would have to run a cable from the front of the house all the way round the house and then down the garden in a trench.

My question is - is there any reason an electrician would not run a cable from the consumer unit in the garage?

in the garage is 4 lights, 5 double sockets and 2 PIR lights running off the unit. In the office I would want 5 double sockets, some roof lights and a PIR light. All I would be running is computer, screens and a convector heater.

In preparation for any works I have been buying cable etc and I purchased 50 meters of 6mm SWA cable to run from the front of the house as described but it would be a massive undertaking as I would have to remove 10 fence panels to route the cable just to the garage and then it would a 70ft trench. Where as I would only have to dig a 70ft trench if the feed came direct from the garage.

Hopefully you understand what I am describing?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes its the right place to ask.
Yes you will need an electrician to carry out this work as it is notifiable.

You need to find a regiatered electrician to do the work. There is a list at www.competentperson.co.uk - or ask friends and neigbours to recommend someone but make sure they are registered.

You may want to get more than one quote.

Now, before you go and buy materials and go to a lot of effort.
The elctrician will need to design the way teh circuit is to be configured and routed. 6mm² cable may not be big enough, what made you decide on this size? Just because 6mm is big enough to go into the garage it may not be big enough to support what you have in mind all teh way down your garden.
The longer a cable is the more voltage you will lose so the cable may need to be THICKER so that you actually get enough volts to power your convector heater, kettle and beer cooler out in your lair.

SO

Find your electrician, let him do the design, he will probably be able to buy materials cheaper than you can.
Also he is the one who will be signing it all off and he will be who you will be phoning up if the lights blink and the computer crashes each time you turn on the convector heater.

Yes its the right place to ask.
Yes you will need an electrician to carry out this work as it is notifiable.

You need to find a regiatered electrician to do the work. There is a list at www.competentperson.co.uk - or ask friends and neigbours to recommend someone but make sure they are registered.

You may want to get more than one quote.

Now, before you go and buy materials and go to a lot of effort.
The elctrician will need to design the way teh circuit is to be configured and routed. 6mm² cable may not be big enough, what made you decide on this size? Just because 6mm is big enough to go into the garage it may not be big enough to support what you have in mind all teh way down your garden.
The longer a cable is the more voltage you will lose so the cable may need to be THICKER so that you actually get enough volts to power your convector heater, kettle and beer cooler out in your lair.

SO

Find your electrician, let him do the design, he will probably be able to buy materials cheaper than you can.
Also he is the one who will be signing it all off and he will be who you will be phoning up if the lights blink and the computer crashes each time you turn on the convector heater.

Thanks for the response.

I will not being any work myself I am just trying to work out if the garage is useable or if will have to go from the front the house.

My brother in law is an electrician but he live in Belfast and I live in West Sussex, he advised that 6mm would be sufficient as I got offered a good deal on an end of reel cable.

Sponsored Links
There is a lack of information but at up to 32A at 70 foot 6mm should be fine. However there are many factors to consider including at that lenght how to earth. The TT or TN question has been raised many times to my mind one has to be on site and look at the job to decide on questions like this.

Many electricians are happy for people to dig the trench but most will want to see the open trench and see the tape is installed above the cable.

Loop impedance is now taken seriously and without readings one can only guess at what can be done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back